Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need some help with my dreads.

RSavage26
@rsavage26
12 years ago
50 posts

So i've been washing and separating every time I was for a year. The good news is that some locs eventually formed. I understand that the loose hair is a part of the process, but here are the issues I've run into recently.

a) Dry hair and scalp, particularly when the heat is on. I'm thinking of getting some coconut oil but I'm not sure if my locs are mature enough to handle it. Today I put a spray of cold water, 5 drops of rosemary oil, and 5 drops of peppermint oil as a temporarily solution but I want something that will keep my hair mosturized. I live in the South (GA), but it can get really cold and dry down here during the winter.

b) Bangs. I think these formed because I kept separating my hair in the front, thinking that it would lead to locs which would stick upwards, but instead they fell in front of my face. This is pretty annoying, but I looked at this video to see what could be done about it, but if you guys have any ideas feel free to add them.

~ The vid I'm talking about.

c) Loose balls on the ends. I have a whole bunch of them in my hair and I'm not sure what to do. I personally have no problem with them because I figure they are a part of dreading if you are taking the organic/freeform method. Unfortunately, my parents do not care to understand this. My father has begun yelling at me about my hair. I do not want to cut nor do i want to take my locs out if I do not have to. I would tell them off but I currently live with them and I do not have another place to go to right now.

d) Mass of hair. I think that ties into c). My hair has some defined locs on the sides, but most of the hair just looks like a mix of locs and loose hair that just won't dread and I'm not sure what to do about it. I have no problem with it, but I'm tired of being given shit by some of my relatives for my hair.

updated by @rsavage26: 01/13/15 09:39:59PM
RSavage26
@rsavage26
12 years ago
50 posts

Some more pics.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 what r u washing with?try these www.dreadlocjshampoo.com

if u need any more moisture use a lil and i mean a lil aloe or jojoba after washing add to a gallon of water pour on

your dreads look great some areas may need a lil more definition so simopl,y seperating will help

and finaly screw those goofy clips

leave the bangs alone when long enough they will go back

till then let em be where thet want to be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RSavage26
@rsavage26
12 years ago
50 posts

I've been using the BS method with the following ratio in this link:

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/baking-soda-and-sea-salt-ratios

My hair is pretty short, so I've realized that a little BS wash goes a long way. If I'm washing every week, I only need 1/2 cup of water and about 1 tbsp of BS. If I skipped a week or two, I either use 3/4 cups of water and 1.2 tbsp of BS or 1 cup of water and 1.5 tbsp of BS. I also add rosemary and lavender/tea tree oil to my rinse. I use 3-6 drops of the first and 1-2 drops of the second. For the past 3 months I have also added peppermint oil to my rinse. It's pretty strong, so I don't use more than 2 drops.

After I've rinsed off the BS I then pour a hair rinse of white vinegar and water on my head, turning around in the shower so I can get to each part of my head. I would use ACV but unfortunately the useful kind with the mother triggers my allergies because I am allergic to raw apples (stupid school lunches...). When I'm measuring that I currently use 10 mL of white vinegar and 490 mL of lukewarm water. So that is my current washing routine. I do not add oils to the scalp or hair because my hair seems to have trouble keeping in moisture (it's low porosity) and I thought using them on my scalp or hair would lead to build-up and make it harder for my hair to dread.

RSavage26
@rsavage26
12 years ago
50 posts

Also, I check out your link. Are the shampoo bars good for newer dreads or should I go with the liquid? I'm thinking of ordering one but with shipping and taxes the cost ranges from about $15-$20.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

both are great the liquids for hard to dread hair really

the shippings flat rate so u can fit 4 or 5 in at the same rate

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

a lil oil on your type hair wont prevent dreading

and u dont need the kind with mother

RSavage26 said:

I've been using the BS method with the following ratio in this link:

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/baking-soda-and-sea-salt...

My hair is pretty short, so I've realized that a little BS wash goes a long way. If I'm washing every week, I only need 1/2 cup of water and about 1 tbsp of BS. If I skipped a week or two, I either use 3/4 cups of water and 1.2 tbsp of BS or 1 cup of water and 1.5 tbsp of BS. I also add rosemary and lavender/tea tree oil to my rinse. I use 3-6 drops of the first and 1-2 drops of the second. For the past 3 months I have also added peppermint oil to my rinse. It's pretty strong, so I don't use more than 2 drops.

After I've rinsed off the BS I then pour a hair rinse of white vinegar and water on my head, turning around in the shower so I can get to each part of my head. I would use ACV but unfortunately the useful kind with the mother triggers my allergies because I am allergic to raw apples (stupid school lunches...). When I'm measuring that I currently use 10 mL of white vinegar and 490 mL of lukewarm water. So that is my current washing routine. I do not add oils to the scalp or hair because my hair seems to have trouble keeping in moisture (it's low porosity) and I thought using them on my scalp or hair would lead to build-up and make it harder for my hair to dread.

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form