Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Time for Wash?

Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

My hair was twisted with the comb coil method alittle more than a month ago.... My hair hasgonethrough some ups and downs but it really is feeling like they are starting to dred up day by day. Every now and them I get some gel and fix them up a little bit andeverythingseems to be working so far, my hair is still fairly short, not draping at all. Anyways long story short, my hair is onlysometimesitchy and generally when I'm going outside or breaking somewhat of a sweat. I was told to the by the person twisting my locks to not wash them for a long time...and while everything is going well I'm curious if I should finally go ahead and wash them, I'm a little afraid that they will become undone due to how short my hair is... What do you guys think?

updated by @rain-francis: 02/14/15 09:02:54AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you should have been washing not twisting all along

they do it all wrong and make u go bald just wash your hair and it will dread

wash 1-3 times a week with as non residue or dread shampoo u probly got alit of gel buildup yor gonna want to remove

stop twisting complete;y

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Yuck, not washing hair?? Do your head a huge favour and get rid of any stuff in it and then go natural. Smells, dirt, grime etc need to washed out 2-3 times a week. Wax & gels hold in water, just think of candle wax & eventually causes mold & unpleasant odor. Natural dreads are the cleanest, lightest in weight and safest, healthiest way to go. It takes time and patience to have them form & mature, but it is well worth it for a lifetime of healthy dreads. Also, they will loosen up so that they can dread naturally, a necessary process. Good luck and enjoy the journey

Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

The interesting thing is that I don't have a lot of dirt or grim... I use the Mango and Lime resistant formula locking gel whenever I'm trying to get them back together again. Is there anything over the counter that I can get? Or some easy stuff to pick up? Also I have seem some washing videos but I don't quite understand the washing process when it comes to smaller baby dreds, mine are just now getting to about an inch...some of them less than that. If they come undone should I just leave them be? If it helps to know my situation more, I have african hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

knew from the method used u were u dont need to stick them together wash with something like www.dreadlockshampoo.com (those u probly wont need much in the way of exrra moisture as usual)

the gels if anything should be used as moisture not to hold em together when they come loose let em they will dread up

wash the scalp mostly rinse thry=u the hair so try to wash around em

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Did not know you have African hair. Send a message to Jacquie and ask her, she should be able to assist you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and over your counter should actualy be onyour windowsill a aloe plant

or jojoba oil just to keep em from getting too dry only as needed

--
Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

It might be easier if you can see.

Do they seem to look okay? I just don't want to mess it up, I was thinking about getting the mango and lime shampoo... But If i can get something natural that would be nice, I'm just not sure where to get some of this stuff from.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

way too twisted u se all that scalp? you shouldnt

those are pretty big sections too so will make rather thick dreads unless u twist till yoir bald
if u want thick dreads then just wash em id highly recomend www.dreadlockshampoo.com wash with those

stop twisr=ting

twisting causes rtraction alopecia which causes those gaps to get wider and hair to not grow there

the dreads get thinner as the gaps get wider

just wash them and let em do what they do

--
Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

Is there a way to keep dreads from not being too thick? I plan for them to be rather concise rather than very large and thick. The sections actually started out to be fairly small.....Somehow they just got larger over time.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form