Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

would you cut your dreads for money?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

I have always watched the show Amazing Race. Once per season, they have a challenge where a team can go straight to the finish line if they shave their heads, (both team members). For all the previous seasons, I always thought that for a chance to win the grand prize money, I would shave my hair off, what the hell, it will always grow back .

...But, now that I am on my dread journey, my opinion has changed. I don't just have hair anymore, I have dreads that were created with time, affection and patience. They are a huge part of me, they who I am. Would I shave my head for the money now? NO WAY...it would be like taking a piece of my soul away.

Would you ever shave off your dreads for money?

updated by @the-barrellady: 01/13/15 09:39:36PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

not for a million or billion but if i was offered enough to end world hunger and create world peace somehow id have to take it then it would be selfish not to

but for mere money nope no way not unless it was enough to change the world

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

I once shaved my hair off to raise money (over $2,500), for a little boy in my community I did not previously know. He needed needed cancer treatments not covered by the Government. (Austin has since passed away). I could not see me doing that now, but as you said, To Change The World, then YES, I would too.

soaring eagle said:

not for a million or billion but if i was offered enough to end world hunger and create world peace somehow id have to take it then it would be selfish not to

but for mere money nope no way not unless it was enough to change the world

Sonja-Skye
@sonja-skye
12 years ago
10 posts

if I could raise enough money to avoid reason or need for FGM, or if I could make enough money to be able to put a portion towards more then one country in poverty to help alleviate some of the stressors concluding in war, then ABSOLUTELY, I love my dreads, but unfortunately for all u dread heads out there, my hair and such comes second to what I believe should be a generalized basic human need, and how a fellow human should be treated, people should not be mutilated for the sake of anything just like people should not need to go without necessities, because they can't afford them, yes, things might seem like it'll never get better, but if everyone just helped a little much could be gained, it's like saying human rights are more important in one country then another hence the reason to not help alleviate such situations.... religion should not be about looking after those wha have the same faith, as much as it should be about helping other people who are humans, but that doesn't happen, as much as we may wish it, just as much as we may wish for the problems to end but we have no say if we don't TRY and at least bring awareness to these topics, if no one believes, well then make them at least come to a validation of reasoning for why EVERYTHING is messed up, since there are plenty of problems today, you just need something you believe in so strongly that you can actually care enough to try and make people listen, even if they don't, you tried and that's the main thing, you tried.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If I could even save 1 country from oppression, and liberate them to become their own people again, I probably would. I'd cry about it a bit. But to get the IMFout of places like Haiti, it would be worth it. To completely dissolve the IMF, I'd do it without crying.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

I probably would. I would also be somewhat selfish and pay off all my bills first. Then donate what was left.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

never, for no sum of money would i cut off my locks were those the conditions for earning the monies. To me that seems like selling out, and goes against one of the very reasons i began locking. materialistic gain is not of importance to me, and hold absolutely nooo value to me next to spiritual gain. on the flip side, had i a lot of money i would use it to help people in need.

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Currently I feel that around 20k per year of hair growth would be a suitable amount. It grows back. So does money, but money grows from money itself and as such it's better to have that then hair.This price goes up as I have more money, of course.For a "chance", however, I would not do it. Even if the expected value was equal to the 20k per year of hair growth, I would want more to compensate for the variance.
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

Well in the real world.... no one is going to offer me enough money to help the world. In reality i can only see my aunt possibly offering $350 to cut them.....so no I would not cut my hair for money.

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
12 years ago
46 posts

Nope, I wouldn't cut my hair for any amount of money. To me my dreads represent aseparationfrom the society that trades the health of the world and its population, for the depressing dogma that is consumerism. To trade something that I grew and took care for, for some pieces of paper that i'm told has value would be a criminal act in my opinion and would definitely make me ahypocrite.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form