Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What Shampoo/Soap should I use?!

FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Hey everyone! How's it going?! I was just wondering what is the best shampoo/soap to use in dreading your hair?That's probably a dumb question...for it is different with everyone. But I just wantedsome ideas as to what else is out there?My method right now that I'm using is just a bar of Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. It seems to be working fairly well. I started using it on the recommendation of a friend who used to have dreads, and he said that's all he useduntil they started locking up. Then switched to a anti-residue shampoo.I didn't comb my hair for a week. Then stared using the pine tar soap. Tomorrow will be exactly 1 month. But it seems the whole left side of my hair isn't locking up. It's not a big deal, because I'm in no rush I love the all natural method, and am going to stick with it. But I was just wondering I guess if that is normal only after 1 month?I have 3 dreads...and 3 that are in the process of forming/locking up. Forgive me if I don't know the lingo. Haha, sorry I'm new to this. Don't mean to offend anyone. If anyone could just maybe give me a recommendation on a new shampoo/soap...if the pine tar soap is no good?

updated by @fourstrongwinds: 08/20/21 12:57:42AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is by far the best

but you can also use the baking soda acv "no touch"ethod

yea its normal to lock up on the side u sleep on 1st if yiu got any dreads in a month your doing fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks Marc! I was looking into the Dr. Bronner's but couldn't find the shampoo at my local health stores. Just the castile soap. This is another dumb question, but forgive me. I'm new to this couldyou use a castile soap as a bar of shampoo?! Or not? SoI just ordered a bar of dread shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com. That leaves me with another question is it better to use a bar of shampoo when you're first starting out or an actual liquid shampoo. Or doesn't it really matter?! And I'm sure I could find the proportions on here but exactly how many parts bs do you want to acv?!

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
The dreadlockshampoo.com bars are best for mature locs, since you have to rub the bar all over then work it into a lather. The liquid is excellent for new locks, you just pour a oil in your hand then massage it in. Either are great either way really tho.With
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
With acv and new locs you want maybe one cap full to 4 cups water, pour it on and rinse it out immediately. It's somewhat conditioning and can slow knotty progress down considerably. If you find your scalp gets super itchy, then add a lil more acv to the next rinse. Baking soda raises the pH of your scalp, acv is acidic and resets the pH. BUT in doing so it can cause your scalp to produce more oils also. Fiddle with the amounts and see what works with your skin/hair. Hope that wasn't too confusing.
FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks guys!

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
I'm probably going to get a talking-to for this but I use Burt's Bees Rosemary and Peppermint body wash as shampoo. My scalp loves the oils in it and it makes my hair dread like crazy. I was going to get a bottle from the dreadlock shampoo site but I couldn't justify spending $20 I didn't really have on shampoo. I did a bit of research on both the ingredients and soap itself and decided it was just what I was looking for and so far (I bought it 3 weeks ago) I love it.
FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks Hayley!

FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

I just purchased a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. I was just wondering how to dilute it. I searched the entire label, but couldn't find the directions to dilute it. Itsays dilute, but then doesn't give you the directions. Or maybe I couldn't find it?! Help please! I figured I would use this until the bar from dreadlockshampoo comes in the mail.

updated by @fourstrongwinds: 07/23/15 06:14:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

12 times more water then soap

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus