Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

itchy scalp and wedding updos

vivian kensington
@vivian-kensington
12 years ago
5 posts

hello all. ive just found this site and am really liking it! wanted to quick say hi to all my dreadie brothers and sisters out here and then i have 2 questions.

1. I have been using dreadheadhq shampoo for 8 years now, but have the WORST itchy, flaky scalp. its gross and annoying. wondering if anyone has any tips, that i may have not heard of trying, or fantastic home remedies to relieve my poor scalp.

2. Im getting married in June 2013 and have a fabulous hair stylist, but im wondering if anyone has any pictures or videos of updos. im not looking for a "classic bun", but something wild and fun.

any ideas on either of these questions, are much appreciated. thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for the awesome site. super rad.

yo

updated by @vivian-kensington: 02/14/15 10:18:57AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

When you say hair stylist, do you mean you have your dreads maintained? DHHQ shampoo is full of toxicingredients and should be avoided. Also, it can cause thatflakiness You can us baking soda/apple cider vinegar mixes to wash your hair. Adding essential oils like tea tree and rosemary are good for dandruff.Another top tip is to use only lukewarm water when washing your hair. Then, at the end, have a freezing rinse. This will kill all itches for the next few days and can help reduce dandruff, too.

Here is a link to BS/ACV

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/bs-acv-wash-1

Read the replies, as this is where the good info is found.

Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
I used dhhq shampoo for a while but the itchy was driving me crazy! Threw it out and started using BS/Acv and my head immediately got better.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

never use anything from dreadheadhq! the shampoo is toxic its cancer causing it causes dandruff proriasais dermatitis and balding

i hope u didnt use wax or any other garbage from them that sites a scam

try the baking soda acv wash or www.dreadlockshampoo.com

theres a bunch of wedding styles in the pictures section (of the forums) or in the styles section i forget wich

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

That DreadHeadHQ crap is toxic. It strips your hair and skin of all oils, all everything. It's meant to be used just a couple times a year. Ditch that shampoo, do a baking soda wash with apple cider vinegar rinse for a couple weeks and you'll be amazed. No more itch, no more flakes, just a super happy clean scalp and super happy clean dreads.

Essential oils that really help, tea tree and rosemary. You may even consider a few drops of jojoba oil as well after using that stuff for 8 yrs.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u might want to get tested for sking cancer and brain tumors after using that toxic garbage that long

dreadheadhq shampoo isnt even a dread sghampoo at least it wasnt developped to be 1 jony "clean"'s daddy runs a cosmetics company the shampoo is actualy made for hunters ..scentless to alow you to sneak up and murder inocent animals because its so toxic and a hunting shampoo its only meant to be used a couple times a year at most

lock peppa as well is toxic to breathe and is not made for dreads its a cat ear hair remover

more specific its poured into cats ears to make the hair more gritty and easier to yank out

i imagine the dread wax was never meant for anything but waxing cars or waterproofing boots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
vivian kensington
@vivian-kensington
12 years ago
5 posts

no, i dontuse a hairstylist for maintenance.hes the one doing my hair for the weddingand, although he has"theperfect idea" i was just looking for otherideas, just in case.afteri decided to get dreadies, i asked a fellow dreadhead what she uses to wash her hair. she said she had never washed them in 5 years and justsprayed a rosemary/tea treemix on them to help them from smelling. she eventually got wicked bugs (they always smelled) and she cut them. so i didnt know what to do. i hopped online and bought the first dreadlock shampoo that came up. that was DHHQ. i did no research on it, and just assumed that it was a store made soley for dreadlocks and was legit.ive been itching since day one!i just assumed i had a sensitive scalp! after im done here, im going to do some reseach on them. i cant believe i was duped (and naive) for 8 years! ive used tea treeoil, anda rosemary spray i make, but haveNEVER heard any advice on shampoo.*baking soda and vinegar is what iuse to clean my house. i guess i never thought of using it as a shampoo. i willdefinately give it try tmr, and thank you so much to allwho replied to my questions!

i havent used any of their other products and am HORRIFIED to see what you wrote. toxic to breathe? poured into cats ears? hunters shampoo? i feel quite dumb for buying into a product/company thatwould sell this! and to be honest,i also feel pretty stupid forusingtheir shampoo for 8 years! thank you so much for the information everyone! and im sure my scalp will thank you as well.

peace

Adam Kelly said:

When you say hair stylist, do you mean you have your dreads maintained? DHHQ shampoo is full of toxicingredients and should be avoided. Also, it can cause thatflakiness You can us baking soda/apple cider vinegar mixes to wash your hair. Adding essential oils like tea tree and rosemary are good for dandruff.Another top tip is to use only lukewarm water when washing your hair. Then, at the end, have a freezing rinse. This will kill all itches for the next few days and can help reduce dandruff, too.

Here is a link to BS/ACV

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/bs-acv-wash-1

Read the replies, as this is where the good info is found.

vivian kensington
@vivian-kensington
12 years ago
5 posts

after doing some research, i found some VERY interesting things about DHHQs shampoo. after water, thenext ingredient, Sodium Laureth Sulfateis known to cause serious skin and scalp irritation,is used in the stuff that degreases car engines! and clean garage floors! after that it just gets worse. almost every ingredient i researched, had the word TOXIC in it, andsaid that rash, redness, skin irritation and BLISTERING are common. ...and this is what DHHQ is selling as "the best ingredients available". i cant believe i didnt research this before. thanks again for the word.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Aw It's ok Vivian! If you think about it, if you'd been using regular shampoo on your hair before you had dreads you've been using SLS as well. It's usually the second listed ingredient in most shampoos. I had no idea about it until I joined this site. Anyway, please let us know how your skin and hair feel after your first new wash, I'm excited for you lol

Some really awesome stuff if dreadlockshampoo.com shampoo bars. They are amazing! Reasonably priced considering how long they last, smell incredible and get your hair and scalp super squeaky clean. I would give those a try in a few weeks after you're scalp has recovered a bit.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

And, on the day of the wedding, you can use pure aloe on your dreads to keep the loose hairs in the dreads. Makes for a cleaner look. Take care.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form