Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How is your hair supposed to be developing when you first stop combing?

Esperanza
@esperanza
12 years ago
1 posts

Hi! So I just started growing my dreadlocks and I was wondering if anyone can share what the beginning of their journey was like? I'm also just using the neglect/freeform/natural/organic method ;) thanks!

updated by @esperanza: 01/13/15 09:39:19PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it5 can vary but typicaly it sections itseldf the sections start tio get tangly then firmer and loopy they will try to congo so u rip em apart (unless u want huge dreads) they will start to shrink and tighten then loops pull in frizz get less and finaly mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Locks tend to go through 3 major phases. First they start to shrink. Most people see their hair shrink between 1/3 to 1/2 their original length. Then your hair seems to stop moving. It doesn't shrink anymore, but it doesn't seem to grow. Last it, it just grows out of control

Sunflower
@sunflower
12 years ago
95 posts

For me each lock is different really.. for the first month or two my hair just started to get quite curly and sectioned itself off, but didn't knot at all. After about month 4 there were quite a few knots (I say knots and not dread lock because it was really just knots), month 6ish the back of my head had around 4 or 5 dread locks (tight and everything) while the rest of my head was just knotting. Now month basically 8 most of my hair on the back of my head is dreaded and the front is getting very curly and also knotting. Underneath is also knotted but very thinly. The main thing with free form is just patience, though at one stage you think you have a lot of dreads, then theydisappear, and then they are back and wonderful :) also with free form get ready for crazy locks along with more "normal" ones :D

ouh and the best way to describe how your hair will look in the first few months is a bird nest :)

Jen
@jen
12 years ago
37 posts
I just restarted my dreading journey and I'm only 3 days in. I also am going natural and have extra curly hair. basically I have a frizzy poofy mess on my head but it's tangling so quickly. :) so I just keep them clean and separate them as needed.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form