Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Greyish powdery locks

Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
I'm having this problem lately. Some locs on the top of my head kinda look greyish as if they were powdery or had talc in them. I kind suspected it was the baking soda since I have hard water. Well thing is I've been using bottled purified water with the b/s to wash but still see the grey locks. How can I get that out? Has this happened to anyone else? I want my locks to look clean. Please help.
updated by @joey5: 02/14/15 08:27:31AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

what are u sleeping on can it be link from wool or something?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Or a favorite hoodie?

If it's just lint, you could dye it. Or just let it ride. Sooner or later your locks will grow out and that greyish stuff will be further down

Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
No hoodie, normal cotton pillowcase. Funny thing is its just the top ones. At close inspection it's not lint, it's like a powder. My wife thinks its B/S trapped inside.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

more likely dead skin bs sg=hould biodegrade into gasses quickly whenin contact with water furthermore when it contacts acv it would go through a chemical reaction creating foam and heat and turning into another compound completely (baba could better exp,ain that)

but when baking soda is used it exfoliates a layer of dead de=ry skin and turns it to a paste which when dried i supose can be more powdery

so if thats the case making the bs stronger (1/2 cup per 5 cups) would fix it or a higher pressure rinse to blast it away

as a test

take a black wash cloth fold it over and ov er or wrap it up into a tight roll and hold it together with bands

make your bs reipe the way you do notmally

soak the ashcloth in it then rince see if u see anty powdery anything left behind

ps are u using baking soda not baking powder right? i could see the added starches in baking powder causing that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Do you use the purified water to mix the BS with AND rinse it out? Could be you're not using enough water to rinse. When I did the BS/ACV wash, I rinsed for a while before adding the ACV. If might be worth the money to get a water softener for your showerhead

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Eagles right. Backing powder might leave a powdery residue. The only reason I don't think it's dead skin is that it's not pasty. Dead skin that is exfoliated tends to be like sebum in texture. I've never seen sebum dry, so it might dry into a powdery texture. That could very well be it.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

hey man, i too have had and still fight this battle! im realizing that you have to keep some what of a tight regiment of washes for this problem to go away. like no more than 3 days between washes, it seems the more time you let pass the more dead skin you have sitting on top of your head, and the more you have the harder it is to get off your head completely. also do you let your hair dry in the sun when possible?

Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
I wash every third day. And I use arm & hammer pure baking soda . One cup mixed in ten cups water. The distilled water I started using recently after noticing the grey. I do see white residue on the bowl I use for the mix. Haven't done the acv in the last month... Could this help?
Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
And I rinse with the shower, not purified water.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form