Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just not locking up

Blonde Dready
@blonde-dready
15 years ago
84 posts
i Backcombed almost 5 months ago, and my hair jsut wont lock up. With the exception of about 4 dreads that are locked at the roots. I need to get a job and my dreads just arent locking, the ones in the back arent even there ne more, the natural ones just went completely smooth and straight. I think i might just start over, i got off to a bad start ne way. I might just let my hair go straight again and then start again my first year of college. It really makes me sad, breaks my heart. But my hair just wont lock up and im starting to feel depressed. Any thoughts? do u agree or disagree?
updated by @blonde-dready: 02/15/15 05:44:55AM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
w/e you do, don't cut your hair, at all,idk man, try taking some pictures,and if they don't look like dreads, why do you have to unlock them?there's alot of options you could go with at this point though
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
i would say that if ur back combing then maybe you should wear your hair up or in a bandana or hat or tam when ur sleeping cuz that helped mine from falling out cuz mine seemed to be the biggest disaster after i woke up. just a thought
L-ray Sepulvado
@l-ray-sepulvado
15 years ago
25 posts
i wouldn't cut your hair man, just comb it out if you want, maybe try and tighten some of em up with the crochet needle, and before you go combing them out for some job i'd check with the place first i haven't came across many places where they care if you combed your hair or not, most places just want you to tie it back, anyways man i wouldn't cut, if you decide to lock it later it'll be alot longer, peace
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
if it makes u feel better man my hair didnt even look like locks at 6months, i can post that picture later when i get to my house.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dreads bhappen when they happen..for some its days to weeks..for othersw months even yearspatience ...and yea post pics i bet its not as bad as ya think...but ..backcombers backcomb because they expect instant results..usualy that leaves em very disapointed whewn a few months later they arent already fully mature (thanks johny clean for your promice of mature dreads in days..ya left alotta ppl depressed when reality settled in)my advice..meditate..completely forget ya have hair or a body..remove yourself from the day to day reality and forget the passage of timeleave your expectations behind..and just be dready..wether your hairs knotty or not..be dready.....then wait..when ya hear a faint voiuce calling ya back to this reality.."hey..kick ass dreads man"..that will be your cue that reminds you you have hair and are on a journey..and nearing your destination..the dread journey isnt just one of knotting up your head and your done..its a soul searching life changting adventureand the knots arent the goal..but the result of the exploration..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
patience man...I don't understand your logic. If they are not locking up yet, then why would you think you should "start over". Thats like setting out to dig a 20 foot hole. You get to 5 feet and get really impatient that it is taking so long. So then you fill the whole back up and start digging again in the same spot.If they aren't locked just let them be and wear a tam in situations that require it. You have typical caucasian straight hair. Of course it will take a long time. Maybe you are just not ready for an exercise in patience of this magnitude. If that is the case just start brushing for now and wait until you think you are truly ready. At least now you know what you are getting yourself into.The funny part is though, if you let them dread on their own from now on, you would have dreads wayyyy before you would have them if you gave up and started over in a few years. So your lack of patience is only going to force you to wait even longer.What are you washing them with btw?
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
maybe u need jus smidge bit more lengthall u can give it is time time timepatience patience patienceNamaste
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I had stick straight over conditioned hair... I used the twist and rip method for me and it has worked wonders... I made sure to make sure it was "locked" or "knotted" thru the whole length of my hair so it would have a better chance to stick rather than come undone. Try using a salt water spray to help them rough up and rinse with a baking soda rinse. ALl this you can find out the details of on this site. Other wise I agree with forget you have hair and just make sure you aren't doing/ using things that are counter productive!Best of luck!Izzy
Ivan
@ivan
15 years ago
88 posts
hey man don't give up, everyone has their own journey and yours might just be taking a little longer than others but once they're there, you're gonna love them for sure. just stick with it, have faith, and stay patient. i'm sure they're gonna come out great.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form