Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Your experience with family/significant other not liking dreads?

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
Just curious if any of you experienced this and if it changed as you had dreads longer? I've had mine 7 weeks now and my wife doesn't like them. She's awesome in that she supports me and is happy that they make me happy. However as a good husband I feel a little guilty for doing something she doesn't like. Im hoping she grows to like them. Any of you have an experience like this?
updated by @joey-mipanyarack: 02/14/15 10:37:41AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

She will get used to them. My parents used to hate mine (on the last set), but they grew to like them. It's actually funny; my Gran used to love them, while everyone else hated them. Wisdom of age I guess :)

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
That's funny you say that cause I thought my grandma would absolutely hate them, but she's one of the few who said they look nice. Wierd.
Darren Wilson
@darren-wilson
12 years ago
1 posts
Yeah. I believe all dreadies face something similar. If its fam,friends,work,ect. My advice is to educate them so they understand the process.(the uneducated have the most to say for some reason)lol.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
My mom told me, on Thanksgiving at that, that she hated my dreads. They were only a month old so my head was a hot mess. She hasn't said anything since then. My husband for the longest time tried talking me into going to a salon to have them 'cleaned up' but I refused. Now he loves them. I don't really get a lot of negative feedback on them. But I intimidate people lol so people may not be comfortable saying negative things to me. Besides, I don't really care what others thing or say.
Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
Yeah for most people it's understanding the process. My wife is cool with the process. She just doesn't find dreads that attractive. I just hope they grow on her. Wouldn't want to mess up "grown up" time lol.
Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
Mons that's reassuring for me about your husband. Thanks! My wife has put up with a lot. Crazy tattoos, dreads, crazy clothes lol. I guess opposites do attract. She grew up an upper class blonde from the suburbs.
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

Ah, you and your wife remind me of my parents lol!

My mom supports my getting dreads, but doesn't really like it. She doesn't want my dad to have them (and he won't get them because he's afraid her family will look down on him). She worries about appearance and all that.

The other day she saw my dad's old drivers license, with a picture of him with about 6 year old dreads. She loved the look! A lot of people aren't comfortable with the idea of not brushing your hair, or the early stages of dreads. But dreads are just sexy and people can't deny that after they see them matured!

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
Oh yeah rose that is similar for sure. Me and my wife got married on the beach 2 years ago and I had long hair that I really wanted to dread but instead I cut short cause I was worried about her family being upset. One of my biggest regrets!
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Joey, have you shown her pics of mature dreads and all the stages? That was one thing that helped my husband. Plus, with him and the whole salon thing, I had to explain in detail how salons create dreads and the damage that happens. I've gone thru ALOT of changes over the last couple years, which he has struggled with. I went from the Macy's/Nordstrom's kind of girl (expensive name brand everything) to dreads, no make up, vegetarian hippie. A lot to process lol. Anyway, your wife will grow to accept them, be patient with her lol. Keep communication open, make sure she understands the reasons you're dreading and how important they are to you.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form