Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Irritated Scalp

AlwaysByourself
@alwaysbyourself
12 years ago
17 posts

After doing natural dreads for over a year, I have noticed some scalp irritation. the most noticeable spot is on my forehead right on the hair line. The hair there hasnt really started dreading yet and there is only irritation on half of my forehead. The shampoos that I have been using are the dreadlockshampoo.com liquid nag champa and Mill Creek Botanicals Tea Tree shampoo. I try to massage my scalp while I wash and occasionally through out the week. I have a spray that ive made with Tea tree, Lavender and jojoba oil that i spray on sometimes also. Ive never done any upkeep other than occasionally separating. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I tried to add a picture but im not sure if it worked or not!

Thanks guys!!

updated by @alwaysbyourself: 01/13/15 09:37:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

hard to be sure but looks like common dermatitis

try the teatree and rosemary bar fom dreadlockshampoo or patculli

u can try the baking soda acv teatree rosemary etc combo

it sure doent look bad

very minor

but if its itchy etc i can understand worrying

how often do u wash

do u se hot warter

also double up the wshings and cut out the hot water at least reduce it as much as u can

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AlwaysByourself
@alwaysbyourself
12 years ago
17 posts

I wash about three times a week. I do have hard water and usually keep the water somewhat cold when im washing my hair. It mostly concerns me because my hair started thinning in a few spots, so i wanted to make sure i was doing everything right and my balding was just male pattern baldness.

soaring eagle said:

hard to be sure but looks like common dermatitis

try the teatree and rosemary bar fom dreadlockshampoo or patculli

u can try the baking soda acv teatree rosemary etc combo

it sure doent look bad

very minor

but if its itchy etc i can understand worrying

how often do u wash

do u se hot warter

also double up the wshings and cut out the hot water at least reduce it as much as u can

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

could be an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the shampoo. a lot of people can't use certain essential oils. just because something is natural doesn't mean you won't have a reaction to one of them. i would try washing with something else for a while and see if your scalp improves. did you have this problem before dreadlocks? if not, what were you washing with?

AlwaysByourself
@alwaysbyourself
12 years ago
17 posts

Thats why im confused. Ive been using the same shampoo for the majority of the time i have been dreading but just out of nowhere i have some irritation. for the past two weeks i have really just been using the Mill Creek shampoo though, so ill try to stick with the dreadlockshampoo.com for a while and see if it goes away. I cant remember having any problems before dreading. I used to wash with Tresemme Moisturizing shampoo.

Tonight i used a Q-tip and put tea tree directly on the irritated areas. Maybe that will help?

Thanks Heather!

Heather said:

could be an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the shampoo. a lot of people can't use certain essential oils. just because something is natural doesn't mean you won't have a reaction to one of them. i would try washing with something else for a while and see if your scalp improves. did you have this problem before dreadlocks? if not, what were you washing with?

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Is it possible that maybe you just had a bad rinse and maybe some soap got left? Or have you been sweating (out of the ordinary) or using a different hand soap or such and touching your hairline? I havent had great luck applying straight tea tree oil to skin, it seems to be gentler and more effective if it's in a salve of some sort even just a pea sized amount of jojoba or coconut oil. Whenever I use rosemary in my bs wash/acv rinse i get irritated skin. I apply one of those oils (jojoba or coconut) and it heals. :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form