Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Oddly shaped sections?

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
I'm roughly 5-6 weeks into my natural journey and the past few days my hair has been going beautifully crazy. It's amazing. However, I'm a little concerned over the way my hair has chosen to section itself. The majority of my babies have longer, skinny sections at the roots as opposed to more structurally sound shapes like (but not limited to) triangles, circles and squares. Should I continue to let my hair do its thing or should I intervene and make the sections a little more solid?
updated by @hayleyb124: 01/13/15 09:37:04PM
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
If it really really really bothers you, you could do a little re sectioning and secure them with a bead. I personally would leave them. I have a few sections like that. They grow out as flat dreads then curl in and/or round up. They may congo and form bigger dreadies. They may section more and form ittie bittie dreadies. Wait and see what they do.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Leave them be. My thickest most structurally sound lock has a root that is about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. It's on a angle too, so it starts to grow out flatter, but the weight twists it so it semi rounds itself out.

For the healthiest locks, there should be a variety of shapes and sizes.
If you want to try and fix them, you can resection them, but don't feel like you have to.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

at this point i'd say wait. my sections split & remade themselves several times before sticking to a spot & /or shape. don't want to go messing with something that may sort itself out. if after a while you don't like some of those ones, you can split or congo them to change them up some. but give it more time before messing with anything, a lot will still get sorted out.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

A more natural section would be more like tear shapes and lines or just random shapes just leave them. They are sectioning themselves. The way they want.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I agree with the other posters. Don't worry about how your hair is sectioning itself off. When you are letting it dread the natural way you'll have all sorts of different shapes and sizes of dreads. Loose hair is normal too...I don't think I'll ever not have loose hair in my set...

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form