Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Keeping sections neat overnight before dreading?

Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

Hey guys,

Tomorrow's the big day! I just spent the last six hours with my best friend sectioning out my hair into braids. Is there anything I can do to help keep my sections from being a tangled mess when I wake up in the morning?

updated by @orion-child: 01/13/15 09:36:58PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why wiuld you do that you want them to dread right? yiu never had to braid or section only let them tangle

how are u planning to dread/ why not just let it dread>/

your worried about it tangling obver night? yiu shiuld undo the braids..and let it tangle and dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Dreadlocks are tangled hair. If you worry about them tangling overnight, you should comb your hair.

If you want locks, you want them to tangle. And when you sleep is a great time for this to happen.

In the morning, you just pull apart the sections that congoed together. But don't worry about it. Dreadlocks don't need to be babied. They need to be treated just like straight hair, minus the brushing.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I've read a lot that braids take a long time to dread, so I would advise against that. Also, dreads are meant to tangle. You separate the sections so they don't all combine with one another. Besides that, just let them tangle and be a mess. You can't have dreads without having messy hair, it's impossible unless you're willing to spend a lot of money maintaining your dreads (and that does more harm than good to your hair). Just have to learn to be patient and embrace the mess :)

Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

I should have clarified that the braids were just holding the sections until I could dread them the next day. :P Thanks for all of the responses; I ended up putting a slippery shirt over my pillow for the night.

Meanwhile, I put in 34 dreads yesterday using TnR (took me all bloody day!) and they look great. For bed, I tied them in a loose ponytail and wrapped a scarf around my head. Should I cover them every night, or should I leave them down/in a ponytail/something else? I want my dreadies to be happy. :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Some people like to wear a tam to bed. If it even stays on all night, all it will do is create a general knottiness that will need to be separated more often.

Don't wear a ponytail. That will slow down the process.

It's best to just leave them hanging loose. When you sleep is a great time for locks to tangle up and mature

Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

Perfect! Thanks. :)

Baba Fats said:

Some people like to wear a tam to bed. If it even stays on all night, all it will do is create a general knottiness that will need to be separated more often.

Don't wear a ponytail. That will slow down the process.

It's best to just leave them hanging loose. When you sleep is a great time for locks to tangle up and mature

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form