Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Medications that are interfering with the locking process

Eve2
@eve2
12 years ago
7 posts

So, I haven't seen too much on dreading and medication interaction with the process. I am currently on several steroids, now don't think the worst, these are not for personal gain of physical structure. Lol. The steroids are for a tumor issue I have inside my body, but the side effect of one of the medications is giving me some trouble. EXCESSIVE OIL everywhere, particularly my scalp, not the dread ends themselves. I have followed suggestion and performed the BS/ACV wash/rinse to help every 2-4 days or so and kept the oils in the mix minimal. But each time I do this, I only find relief for maybe 24hrs before I am an itchy, oily mess again. Not to mention each time i wash, i am loosening more and more. Which is not really a big deal, as this is part of the journey, but I will be on this medication for some time and I would like a long term solution to help this. Is there a better method to "dry out" my scalp without having to wash my ends each time, as they are much drier then scalp. Overall, my baby-locks are coming along very nice, the ends have locked well in a short period of time and shrunk several inches in only a few weeks. Some have pulled smaller ones into them leaving little congos I have to split at the root. I am more excited to see the length return again in time. :) Thank you all for your advice.

updated by @eve2: 01/13/15 09:36:51PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

An oily scalp means it's too acidic. Steroids may cause your body to produce more acids. Don't quote me on that. I'm in O chem right now, and we haven't gotten up to steroids yet, but from what I remember from Bio, they can react and synthesize acids.

Try doing just the BS wash. mix Teatree, rosemary and peppermint oil in the wash. Normally I'd say a small amount of peppermint, but to combat the itchy scalp, you can probably add more than normal.

ACV is acetic acid,. It is used the reset your scalps pH level. But because you're already too acidic, you don't want to add and acid to it. You want the BS to raise the pH. When you stop getting oily, then you can VERY slowly reintroduce the ACV.

Eve2
@eve2
12 years ago
7 posts

I wondered about this...and even better a Chem geek :) I say that with heart. SO with this advice, would it be reasonable to say i can do the above with a cotton ball just on my scalp and light rinse? Or is there something leave in I can do that would not involve full submerging locks? Thx!

Baba Fats said:

An oily scalp means it's too acidic. Steroids may cause your body to produce more acids. Don't quote me on that. I'm in O chem right now, and we haven't gotten up to steroids yet, but from what I remember from Bio, they can react and synthesize acids.

Try doing just the BS wash. mix Teatree, rosemary and peppermint oil in the wash. Normally I'd say a small amount of peppermint, but to combat the itchy scalp, you can probably add more than normal.

ACV is acetic acid,. It is used the reset your scalps pH level. But because you're already too acidic, you don't want to add and acid to it. You want the BS to raise the pH. When you stop getting oily, then you can VERY slowly reintroduce the ACV.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

baba said exactly what i had in mind but with lil more chem-geekiness

is it predisone?

prepare to gain wweight

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

No offense taken. I'm a science geek, and proud of it.

Dreadlocks are going to loosen quite a bit before they tighten. That's just the way they progress. And washing really helps them do it faster. So I would say that you should wash them like normal. Don't use a cotton ball or spray bottle for it. If you don't use enough BS, which would happen if you tried to sponge wash your scalp, you'd start to exfoliate your skin, but wouldn't have enough to get it all done. And rinsing afterwards wouldn't take the dead skin off. You would end up with flakes and even gooey dead skin.

Eve2
@eve2
12 years ago
7 posts

Well I will keep with BS wash and go gradual with the ACV when things start to normal out.

And no, the two are 1200MG of Danazol a day and 5MG of Aygestin..I was warned of weight gain, however just the opposite has occurred because of a loss of appetite. I have lost 7lbs the last 2 weeks...cant complain.

Thx again.
soaring eagle said:

baba said exactly what i had in mind but with lil more chem-geekiness

is it predisone?

prepare to gain wweight

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Sounds good.
I hope the steroids help. I just took a look into endometriosis, Which I assume is what you're being treated for? Considering that both meds are for it. Good luck. I only took a quick look, so I don't know the details. But I really hope you get better

Eve2
@eve2
12 years ago
7 posts

Thanks so much. First check up and medication is working...5 more months to go. The go time for a son..since I have a daughter..lol. Now I just have to get my suspicious mamogram cleared up and I'm in good health..for me at least. My dreads are getting better, the itch and oil is getting under control. Its so funny all the diff types of dreads forming..small big, skinny, fat...

Baba Fats said:

Sounds good.
I hope the steroids help. I just took a look into endometriosis, Which I assume is what you're being treated for? Considering that both meds are for it. Good luck. I only took a quick look, so I don't know the details. But I really hope you get better

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form