Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just the Tips

Lukey Luke
@lukey-luke
12 years ago
26 posts

So when I started my dreads 3 years ago, I used wax (this was a couple of months before I found this site) since then I've stopped and decided to let them grow out and chop the waxy part instead of chopping them all off at the time. I've finally decided that by spring they'll be long enough to chop the bottom 3-4 inches of wax off. That being said, I would love to have some fun with them this winter. I'm thinking about darkening them and bleaching just the tips (bottom inch or so). I wouldn't think of using any harmful chemicals, but since its just the bottom part that will be cut off in a few months anyways, I don't have too many qualms against it. I've never dyed my hair before so I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've heard that coffee works to darken them, but how do you use it? Do I just soak them in a pot of coffee for a while? Also how would I whiten up the tips? Thanks for any and all help!

updated by @lukey-luke: 02/14/15 05:51:27AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There are a few discussions on dying locks. I dyed my hair all the time when it was straight, but I wouldn't recommend any of those techniques for locks.

What I can let you know is that some dyes make your hair slick and I've been told that it can undo some knots.

All that said, wax migrates. When you heat it up in warm water when you wash them, the wax moves. It may have only been in the bottom 3 inches at the beginning, but 3 years later, there's a good chance that there is some wax throughout the entire lock now. Cutting off the bottom 3-4 inches won't get all the wax out.

If you are set on cutting that part off, go ahead, but check out the dreaducation page and the wax removal techniques to get the rest of the wax out

Lukey Luke
@lukey-luke
12 years ago
26 posts

they may have some wax still in them, but there is a definite line in each one that goes from nice and fluffy to hard and waxy. I've tried some of the wax removal techniques on the ends, and they have helped, but there still rock hard, and hold water for hours after the rest of each dread has dried.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When you cut them, I'd still recommend being safe and cutting at least another inch above that line to make sure you got most of it out. And even then, do 1 or 2 wax removal sessions for what's left. It's just better to be safe than sorry.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

was wax b gone tried/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lukey Luke
@lukey-luke
12 years ago
26 posts

No, I tried the body splash, and boiling them (with the careful help of some friends), but like I said, I'm going to be cutting them (I'll remember to give the line plenty of room, Thanks Baba!) and I'm happy with that decision, I'm more wondering how to color them for the winter before I chop them.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I snipped a piece of one of them off once, and it blunted right up. Maybe some people get wispy ends again. , but I didn't. I wish I left it though. I miss my wispy ends

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

curious baba did you cut straight across or at an angle? i talked to a few people about chopping off the red if it didn't fade out (just checking options, two-tone can be totally badass too!) & i was told if you want them to blunt cut straight across & rub the nub on your palm to help it lock up again, if you want it wispy & free slice at an angle & just wash, some more hair will fall out that first wash but then it will leave some of the tip wispy after the rest reknots. just what it seemed from the couple responses i got on it. if i ever cut mine i'll test the two ways ;)

Baba Fats said:

I snipped a piece of one of them off once, and it blunted right up. Maybe some people get wispy ends again. , but I didn't. I wish I left it though. I miss my wispy ends

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I cut on a slight angle. It blunted into a point

BlasphemyBlack
@blasphemyblack
12 years ago
35 posts

i duno if its different for more mature locs but ive dyed mine ( both bleached and semi permenant colour) but mine are only 3 months but my dyed dreads are exactly the same as my un-dyed ones so hasnt affected the dreading process!!!. the only thing id really say if you arent experienced with dying in general is got steady with how much u put on your hair at a time, put a lil on and see how much it covers then you can dd more.if you slick it on you might end up with a gooey over saturated mess ***personal experience, crazy colour is the consistancy of thick PVA glue! HELL to wash out if you over do it*** works fine once you work out quantitys!!!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form