Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Goey white stuff in my dreads

Conny Nordlund
@conny-nordlund
12 years ago
19 posts

I've had my dreads for about 3 months and I refused to wash my dreads because I was extremely scared of it getting untangled so I waited a really long time before washing. A few days ago I washed my hair with soap that's for allergic people,recommendedby a friend that has 12 year old dreadlocks.

After showering and drying the dreads, they felt gooey inside and my roommate said that it's possibly because it's still sort of wet inside so I blowdryed my hair to really get it dry before going to bed. The next day they were still feeling weird and I was starting to worry. Later that day I ripped a dread open to see if there's anything inside and I find these small white dots all over the place and when I touched it, it felt really slimy.

Is this resedue from the shampoo or is it something else? I'm freaked that it'd be mold or something but my hair doesn't smell bad at all.

Here's the ingredients in the shampoo by the way:

Aqua, sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Citric Acid, Behenoyl PG-Trimonium Chloride, Hexlene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Sorbic Acid.

That doesn't sound very natural to me but it claims to be 0% Perfume/Colorants/Parabens and my friend uses it and he has awesome dreadlocks. Why isn't this working for me?

What should I do? How do I get this shit out of my hair!?

updated by @conny-nordlund: 02/14/15 11:46:50AM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Sodium lareth sulphate is meant to be harmful, I believe. Switch to baking soda/apple cider vinegar and some essential oils, or buy a natural, residue-free shampoo. You went a long time without washing your hair; could be the soap, could be dirt that's gotten into your dreads and the soap has made it feel slimy. I'd not use the soap if I were you. Your friend may have great-looking dreads, but maybe on the inside his are like yours. Even if they're not, it'd probably be the dirt.

Conny Nordlund
@conny-nordlund
12 years ago
19 posts

Ok cool. I just did a deep clean with baking soda and some other stuff suggested at another forum. I'm having it in my hair right now and I can feel the crap just oozing out of my dreads. The water was all "dirty" of the shampoo as well.

I'll be buying proper soapbars tomorrow too!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

SLS is a detergent and is meant to strip oils from your hair. The problem with it is that it is extremely toxic. A few other chemicals in there are questionable.

Dreadlocks take hours to dry. Mature ones can take between 5 and 24 hours depending on how thick they are. So they may squish a little right after you wash them.

But the fat that they were slimy sounds like it is probably oils and other dirty trapped in your locks. Wash 2-3 times a week for clean hair and scalp.

If you have soft water, Dr. Bronners is great. But the soaps Brittany mentioned is the best. The BS wash is just fine, and you can add whatever oils you want to it, which is super convenient

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

whats the name of that shampoo i certainly wouldnt use it

compare those ingredients to thoe on http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com which 1 sounds better for ya?

and absolutely wash wash wash dreads love to be washed

if u have rubber bands in take em out!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Conny Nordlund
@conny-nordlund
12 years ago
19 posts

I just bought a soapbar from Lush made out of completely organic stuff and it was recommended by people over at dreadlocktruth.

http://www.lushusa.com/Squeaky-Green/02736,en_US,pd.html

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I hate to break it to you, but you were lied to. That soap is terrible for you. It may be ok for locks. But if you want to be healthy and not damage your immune system, trash it.

SLS, the first ingredient is a detergent, it's made to strip oils from car engines. Sure, it's in a lot of shampoos and conditioners, but it is extremely toxic.

There are a few other very questionable ingredients in there. HYDROXYCITRONELLAL is an immunotoxin.

If you want the best soaps for good prices, and that are not going to cause cancer, check out dreadlockshampoo.com

Conny Nordlund
@conny-nordlund
12 years ago
19 posts

Oh god I dunno if I'm going to take you guys word for that to be completely honest. I'm going to use that shampoo none the less and see what happens. It can't be that bad.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Like I said, it may not be bad for your locks. But it's bad for your health. That's what I'd be worried about. Do some research into the ingredients.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form