Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

so why is everyone so hateful?

brittany leigh
@brittany-leigh
12 years ago
11 posts

Okay...So I am a year or so into this wonderful journey and I haven't had any bad experiences myself. But I'm searching thru tumblr just looking around and I am starting to see a lot of hate towards anyone who has dreadlocks who isn't black or rasta. Things like this "...white people wearing dreadlocks expresses our society's racism..." or "..So black people WILL lash out on you, and call you racist and appropriative. Because you are, you arent putting the effort into my peoples hair. You dont care enough to want to represent a hairstyle of my people correctly and its like youre mocking it, whether you intend to or not..."
There are so many more examples. I am doing my best to not get irate about this, but it is difficult. As human beings shouldn't we all share the same rights no matter who you are? That's what I thought but apparently there are a lot of people who think differently. Have you guys had any bad experiences like this personally? Also, do the majority of people think this way, that white folks with dreads are racist or whatever? And why do you guys think people get so hateful over this topic?
I figured I'd come to you guys to calm down rather than yell at someone over the internet (which gets you nowhere and would just make me look like a fool). Thanks for any and all input!!

updated by @brittany-leigh: 01/13/15 09:36:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

i 1st was intri]=oduced to dreads by rastas ive hung out with rastas since my teens never once has a true rasta acted thatway towards me

\on youtube however there were 2 or 33 guys

or it was 1 guy with 3 personas very simular

you know whats the funny thing? they were the most racist people i ever met

1st off their identity was all wrapped up in race they're names like melaton9ne blackgod something else overemphasizing race

then hes saying stuff like crackers are evil

only black men desserv e this hat and the other

i called him on his rasicm and he admited to being proud of being racist

(under the 1 name if it was the same guy) under the other name says racist how can i be racist im bhlack

then went on to say he wished the world could be wiped clean of all white devils

its not that its common its just that they are very vocal about it in your face they go on and on and are hard to ignore

its 1 in 10,000 or more

but that level of ignorance and hatred is ...loud

in philly we have the church of the black jesus..

they wont talk to u if your white ecxcept to say "we dont integrate"

in predominantly black and poor areas they stand on the corner with bullhorns screamming about the evil white devils..

around the corner we hads the lots of live garden a heavcen in a hellhole sklum

everyi=one in the hood loved s

but we had that constant noise screamming how eveil we were

u cant let it get u mad u can either laugh at it or feel sorry for them

you can stabnd up to them but u cant get through to them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

It's the opposite of racism. No white person will willingly mock a culture by giving themselves that culture. It's mostly down to some individuals thinking that white people who adopt that culture or who identify as rasta and whatever are trying to invade their culture and make yet another thing a "white people thing" if that makes sense. Of course, it's all rubbish; every culture has had dreads, so it's whatever. Just don't even waste your time being annoyed by people sense of insecurity or intolerance.

BeauootifulSoup
@beauootifulsoup
12 years ago
8 posts

people just need something to be angry about. if it wasn't about white people having dreads, it would be something else. just one of the reasons I'm so happy tumblr has that block button xD I just block the people with their negativity and hate :3

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

I haven't had too many bad experiences...my MiL who is black happens to think that dreadlocks are a "race thing" and that blacks started them. I don't talk to her much about it because she is never wrong, if you catch my drift ;) One of her friends told me I don't really have dreadlocks. "Are you trying to do dreadlocks or something?" I told him no, I AM doing dreadlocks lol "You can'tjust have nappy hair and call it dreadlocks." I guess he spent some time on Virginia Beach helpingjamaicans (Sorry can't capitalize it, have to c/p myj's lol) dreadlock their hair so his bald ass KNOWS all about dreads you know. I have had a couple of people tell me dreadlocks are for "dykes" or that they are nasty or creepy... Ijust ignore them... I think a lot of peoplejust really don't understand dreadlocks or know their history, so they have preconceived notions about them and refuse to let go. :/

MistressManson & TheDarkFaeries
@mistressmanson-thedarkfaeries
12 years ago
2 posts

It sounds more like they have an issue with racism... putting white people with dreads into a group as a whole, saying they are all being "racist" just.. sounds like SOMEONE has a huge lack of education about Dreadlock History. Everybody should be free to have dreads without being called a name. Someone should make a page for the history on dreads or something, I know there are discussions about the subject.

binary
@binary
12 years ago
4 posts

all i have to say is ...if they choose to focus on trivial subjects as hair, live and let live
its your life/body do with it which you will

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I live and work in a neighborhood that is increasingly becoming a place that you can joke you are in the minority if you are white. One woman told me that I couldn't have knappy hair as a white girl. She said it was instead of frizzy mess. I forget some of the different exchanges we've had. We have developed a relationship over the last year that her comments don't make me angry. I just have to laugh and tell her she is applying racist stereotypes to a poor little white girl who loves her frizzy mess of an excuse for hair.

I am constantly being hit on by black men who for some reason love that I have dreads and am in their words "nice and thick." It can be sorta creepy.

I don't remember where I originally heard it but I was once told that all white people with dreads were "Trustafarians," or white people who are supported by mommy and daddy and get dreads as a fashion statement or I forget what all is said.

I try to keep a light hearted attitude if someone wants to make a racist comment about me being a white girl with dreads.

A black man who is a hair dresser/stylist/loctitian did confuse me a few weeks ago by telling me he was taking away my black card. I thought this was really funny because in no way am I trying to be anything but myself. I'm straight up and honest that my white girl hair hates locking up in any quick manner and I am ignorant when it comes to any sort of dreading process on black people....

I really don't know where I was going with all this. I've never actually encountered anyone that was vicious and hateful in their racist comments. Just as everyone holds some sort of racists stereotype that stems from ignorance...some black people really are ignorant about white people and dread locks.

I try and clear those assumptions if at all possible.

Ultimately...I have chosen to wear my hair like I have that is in no way related to skin color or race.

Autumn2
@autumn2
12 years ago
18 posts

Yeah, I have seen this too. And I just totally don't agree with it at all. Let's just call it like it is... racism is racism in either direction. Can't we all just get along...

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form