Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Where is a good/cheap place to get dread beads?

Boobie
@boobie
15 years ago
37 posts
ive been searching around the internet and in stores like Micheal's n' such looking for beads... i found some on the internet but because i still dont have a job money is extremely tight. a lot of places have high shipping costs...thank you for your time.
updated by @boobie: 01/13/15 08:29:22PM
Sam James
@sam-james
15 years ago
10 posts
i usually just got to pat catans, or at yard sales!
Boobie
@boobie
15 years ago
37 posts
ive never heard of pat catans... but thank you for the feedback = D Sam James said:
i usually just got to pat catans, or at yard sales!
Mechanical Butterfly
@mechanical-butterfly
15 years ago
24 posts
Michaels is pretty alright, if you have a Jo'Anne's, that'd be another place to check (it's like Michaels). If you have a head shop near you, that might be a place to check if you want some glass beads. You could also try flea markets, and GoodWill-type places. younever know what you might find there.Good luck!
Mechanical Butterfly
@mechanical-butterfly
15 years ago
24 posts
I've made some beads from sculpey, (another brand of polymer clay) and they were kind of brittle, I put a bunch in, and the next morning, I had little clay fragments all in my sheets, an about three beads left out of twenty or so... heh.I've made some more, and covered them with paperclay - and then forgot to seal them, so when I got in the shower, the beads got kind of slimy, and stuff. I pulled them all out, re-washed my hair, and then sealed the beads with lacquer after they had dried out. So far, they're holding up just fine. Knottysleeves said:
Another way to make your own beads (if you can afford it) is to buy some Fimo or Sculpey clay at Michaels. Just form it with your hands however you want, make a hole in the middle with a pencil or something, and bake it in the oven. They're really easy to make. You can also make a spiral that you just twist onto your dread.
Boobie
@boobie
15 years ago
37 posts
those are some really cool ideas! thank you Knottysleeves said:
Do you have a bead shop where you live? You can get some amazing stuff at bead shops and usually at decent prices. If you can't find a bead large enough to fit your dreads, you could always buy some little charms (they're usually less than $1 each) and just sew them on with thread, or put them onto a wire wrapped around your dread.

I found some wooden so-called "hair beads" at Michaels a few years ago, but they were cheaply made and the insides were all rough and splintery. Easy to fix with a piece of sandpaper and some lacquer, if you have it.

If you have a large drill bit or a Dremel tool, you could also scour the park for some chunks of wood and make your own bead.

Another way to make your own beads (if you can afford it) is to buy some Fimo or Sculpey clay at Michaels. Just form it with your hands however you want, make a hole in the middle with a pencil or something, and bake it in the oven. They're really easy to make. You can also make a spiral that you just twist onto your dread.
Boobie
@boobie
15 years ago
37 posts
i found something on the internet.. if you go to google and type in "luxus beauty" then go down it says something about hair beads from markdownalley.com, texasbeautysupply.com, etc and they are all really cheap but the only thing is i dnt know if they are the right size or not
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
i make mine! lol
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form