Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Journey. Two Weeks

eva
@eva
12 years ago
38 posts

It feels like I've had my dreadlocks for more thantwo weeks aha.Ihave washed my hair many times and they are still beautifully locked ! They loosened up and are not as stiff as they were. However, I am getting very itchy which is annoying. Im not really into using any special or chemical shampoo for the dry scalp bit, so Im trying to find a natural remedy. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment <3

Love & Peace to all.

updated by @eva: 02/14/15 09:02:20AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

What are you washing with?

Peppermint oil is great for relieving itchies. I have a little spray bottle with jojoba, Peppermint, and Either rosemary or teatree oils and water, in it for days I feel itchy. It works like a charm.

But changing up how and what you wash with may help too

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I've heard good things about teatree oil for people who have itchiness and either can't or won't use chemical products!

eva
@eva
12 years ago
38 posts

Well right now im washing with the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo. It works great for my dreads. Oh yeah, I've heard about the teatree oils !! That & aloe vera, maybe I'll give them a try. Thank you:)

eva
@eva
12 years ago
38 posts

Thank you !! Theteatree oil & aloe vera seem to pop a lot actually :):)I willgive those a try. Thank youStar !

Star Gryphon said:

I've heard good things about teatree oil for people who have itchiness and either can't or won't use chemical products!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Anti residue is not non residue. In fact, it leaves a residue all by itself. Anti-residue shampoos are used to strip other oils and residue from your hair. But then they leave some. It's a weird cycle. Stop using that on your locks.

Plus Neutrogena shampoos contain toxic chemicals like SLS and Formaldehyde.

SLS is extremely bad for your hair and health. In California it is listed under Prop 65 to cause Cancer.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I don't know much about that shampoo but I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what is causing your scalp to be dry. Also, aren't they are a shampoo that isn't supposed to be used every time you wash your hair.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's not. If you have residue from using a non dreadlock-friendly soap, you use it once to get rid of the residue. It should only be used 1-2 times a year.

It could probably be what is causing your itchies. Find a non-residue soap like Dr. Bronners (Only if you have soft water), or dreadlockshampoo.com (The work in any water type)

eva
@eva
12 years ago
38 posts

Oh wow, that shampoo was always recomended to me. :(Ok wellI'm amost positive I have soft water... uhmm, Im not interested in the dreadlockshampoo.com because I'd rather have something available in a store. So, can I use the Dr.Bronnerson my non-dreaded hair as well ?

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

Dr Bronners is amazing and can even be used as an alternative to toothpaste! (Although I tried it once and even though it was the peppermint, I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for....well...way too long!)

So, yes, Dr. Bronners is alright to use on non-dreaded hair. I started using it about 5 years before I started my dread journey. I just used conditioner after I washed my hair with it since I didn't plan on trying to lock up my hair then.

Also, another wonderful thing about Dr Bronners is that you can buy one bottle and just keep refilling it over and over again in your stores bulk section! It makes it so cheap! Although I have several different sized bottles that I use. This soap shouldn't be used at it's full concentration. For your hair especially! With my different sized bottles I use the smaller sized ones in my shower with the pre mixed concentrations and I leave my big bottle under the sink for when I need to remix.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form