Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp treatment for baby dreads

Ginger3
@ginger3
12 years ago
2 posts

Hi Everyone, I am new here and semi-new to the dreadlock scene. To make my story short, I had my hair dreaded in my teen years, but used a kit (ie: I used wax) and was not happy with the results and recently, 10 years later, re-knotted my hair using nothing but the backcombing method.

Well, I am exactly 7 days in, still have not washed them and I am completely happy with the results. But- there is something that is annoying the crap out of me, I know this is normal and I am sorry if this has been asked a million times, my scalp isdefinitelyitchy.

Since my dreads are 7 days old, what are my options for relieving my itchy scalp? Tea tree, lavender, rosemary... ACV?

I don't plan on washing for another 7 days- to give them a chance to bind a bit. When I do wash, I am going to no-touch BS route.

updated by @ginger3: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

You should wash! Washing encourages dreading! Looks like you have rubber bands in so first start by removing them! They can and will cause problems! Ok, you can use the no touch wash with Baking Soda, About a 1/4 cup disolved in warm water in a 1 gallon pitcher. Dump over head and leave in for about 10mins. Rinse really, really well! Once rinsed out, take the same pitcher with a cap full of ACV and dump over head. Since yours are still babies I'd rinse it out right away! You can add whatever oils to either the BS or ACV. Also get some shampoo either liquid or bars from www.dreadlockshampoo.com .

Ginger3
@ginger3
12 years ago
2 posts

Thanks, I guess I just won't wait on washing. It's difficult to figure out the right timeline for that because everyone has a differentopinion.

Also, just a note, those actually aren't rubberbands, it's string that was tied over the backcombing, they're stuck in this spot, so I still have lots of slack at my roots and they will grow with my hair, until I cut them out. I know there are mixed reviews on here about wild loose hairs vspristine grooming- I am on neither side of that, but since I had uncomfortable sections last time, I want to make sure everything locks a little morecomfortablybefore I take them out.

One more quick question about the washing with BS and ACV, I've seenrecipeswhere people mix and BS and ACV, anything special aboutseparatingthe two mixtures other than the abrasiveness of ACV? Er.. one more question, what do you think about those salt water sprays that people use 2 hours before washing?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

NEVER mix BS and ACV. Look at Youtube for videos when people mix it in bottles and it explodes. There's a chemical reaction that is really bad for your scalp and hair. It produces heat and gas. You should never mix the 2. People on youtube say you should, and then claim they can feel it working because they can feel the burning and hear it fizzing. That's dangerous. Always separate the 2.

As for as the sea salt. It does promote locking. But yeah, it should never be left in for more than 2 hours. It will dry out your scalp and make your hair brittle if you leave it in too long.

Even though that is just string, it may still prevent some locking. The ones I can see look pretty tight. You don't want to put anything tight around your roots, at any point. The roots need to be loose and free to tangle with new growth and other loose hairs. When they grow out, that string will probably get tangled under hair and will be really hard to get out

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wash them now dont wait why would u wait wash them every 3 days and theywont itch

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
The ratio of bs mentioned above may be a bit weak. I started with a weaker mix in the beginning and it made the itching worse. It should be 1/2 cup bs(about 6 tablespoons) to 5 cups water. And I always mix it with a bit warmer water than I like it, cause the chemical reaction causes it to fizz and cool. And as mentioned above, dont rinse with the acv (for baby dreads like 1 cap full to 5cuos water) until you've rinses the bs out well.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I don't know how I missed that one. Yeah, you should mix 1/2 cup BS to 5 cups of water. Lt it sit on your head for ~10 minutes. Rinse it off really well. The do the ACV rinse

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form