Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

White gunk on scalp, Dry skin? Baking Soda? Help!

BeauZay
@beauzay
12 years ago
92 posts

I'm using Ess. oils, (tea tree, peppermint, Lavender & Rosemary) baking soda wash/ and ACV rinse with real cold water, still after I get out of the shower, I can litterally scrape my scalp in any given spot and i will find white gunk under my finger nail, Don't know if this is the baking soda or dry skin...HELP! I try to make sure to get all baking soda out before I do the ACV rinse, still no help, I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Should I put a little rosemary after I get out of the shower to help with dandruff if thats what it is that i'm scraping off my head? Any help would be greatly appreciated..l

updated by @beauzay: 02/14/15 09:20:13AM
Jasmine3
@jasmine3
12 years ago
9 posts

I had/have the same problem, I recently bought an all-natural handmade residue-free teatree bar of soap and used it once.. when i rinsed the water was murky and seemed to take most if not all of that white gunk on my head out.. not really sure if I should be using that tho as its not specifically for dreads.. but maybe try a different type of washing? a bar of dread soap maybe? And just do the BS&ACV once every 2 weeks or something.. thats what I plan to do anyways.. not really sure if any of this will help you but i hope it does!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

make the bs stronger its dewzd skin you need 1/2 a cup per 5 cups water

bs evaporates it cannot leave anythung beghind unless u literaly use more bs then water

but it has to be strong eniugh to remove the dead skin so make it the right strength and your good

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ebony
@ebony
12 years ago
2 posts

That is a mix of the sebum already on your head and too much baking soda. I had the same problem. Although I washed for the past year with nothing but baking soda, once I dreaded my head I noticed that nothing was actually getting anything out. Baking soda is my go to for everything that I clean in my house, but I opted against using it on my head because no matter what I did I couldn't get the right portions and it wasn't getting my scalp clean. It's a pretty weird feeling. I don't want to sound like a commercial but I mix between using dr. bronners or anything soap that doesn't sud up every other wash. I notice that after using apple cider my dreads are left greasy. And baking soda works better if you literally soak your head in a bucket rather than pouring it over your head in a shower. That's just so I can ensure to get everything out. I know that your sebum will go crazy at first as it is trying to balance it out.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it is not too much its too little thats why u couldnt get it right you were trying to use less..not more u need to use more to get it strong enough to remove the dead skin

--
BeauZay
@beauzay
12 years ago
92 posts

Soaring Eagle, I've been using about a full cup of baking soda in a gallon jug of water, what is a good way to rinse without touching my hair too much, but ensuring that I get all the BS and other gunk off the scalp? I feel I'm not rinsing thorough enough? or maybe I'm just not using the right amount of BS?

Ebony, I know the feeling you are talking about, I've used portions of baking soda from 1/4 cup to a full cup in a gallon water jug with all the oils and poured over and let sit for 20-30 minutes. It tingles and makes my head feel cool from the oils at first but right after I shower, I still get a itchy feeling. I've never heard of dr. bronners but would you say if I keep doing the baking soda wash that my sebum will balance out eventually? The apple cider vinager doesn't really make my hair feel greasy, but since I started using it again it seems like there might be less white gunk after each wash. (I' am washing every other day now opposed to every 3-4 days)

BeauZay
@beauzay
12 years ago
92 posts

Soaring Eagle, I am washing tomorrow, so I will try more this time. would u say to use 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups BS for tomorrows wash?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no 1/2 cup per 5 cups water

1/10th of however much water u use

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

anytume u use bs u should use acv..except if your trying o reduce oiliness

--
DreadedThor
@dreadedthor
12 years ago
12 posts

Alright, first, EVERYONE should read this post as well as the responses, as the OP works as a pharmacy tech with vast knowledge in chemistry. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/baking-soda-and-sea-salt-ratios On that note, SE, I understand where you're coming from telling him to add more BS, however, make sure you don't add too much, as this can be harmful to the human body. They talk about it in the responses of the above thread I linked.

At one point, they do use some technical jargon, but a little google, can help you there. Me personally, wouldn't go more than 3/4 of a cup/p 5 cups of water as you run the risk of the alkalinity being too high.

Lemme break it down to Barney terms. Normal BS solution(1/2cup w/ 5 cups water) has a Ph balance of, roughly 7-8. If you increase the amount of BS, the balance goes up to something like Nair! Nair has a Ph balance of 12. Reducing BS amount will lower the balance and effectively renders the solution moot.

Again, read through the thread I linked, and that should help you with the questions you have.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form