Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to start with VERY long Hair

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

So I've decided I want dreads, and it seems like a natural fit for me to use the natural method. I've been part of the natural hair movement for years, using no products, natural shampoos, no heat drying or styling, then a year or so ago switched even to no poo, using baking soda and vinegar method. That was my official step in natural hair. Now I've decided to go a step farther and get natural dreads, which hopefully is possible for me. The only reason I question if it's reasonable is that I have VERY long hair. I sit on the tips of it when I sit down. I just measured and it's 34 1/2" long! I'm at the exact moment where I say "Okay! I'm doing this! What now???"

Can I manage to get decent natural dreads? Or will I be setting myself up for a beaver tail just because of the sheer amount of hair?

For my hair as it is I wash it anywhere from once a week to only once a month, depending on when it needs it. Then I leave it to air dry if possible. If not possible I loosely braid it into one long single braid.

For daily maintenance I brush it and rebraid it, or put it in a bun. I almost never leave it down, just because of tangling and such. I'm guessing step one is to start leaving it down?

Can I successfully get natural dreads while starting with so much hair? Any special tips? What do I do from here? Can I still comb it, or should I finger comb only?

I'm sure I'd be far less nervous if I wasn't starting out with so much hair! lol

updated by @alicia-s: 01/13/15 09:35:42PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just leave it down dont comb or cfinger comb however it can dread at lightening speed so u will need to seperate often until they learn their places so day 1 when u wake up feel around for tangled clumps and rip 1 away from the other so they stay individual sections

mines twicew as long but i started short

ive seen ppl with hair that long forming dreads overnight tho i think yours ont be so bad

howcer u should ewash more often weekly should be a minumum 2-3 times aweeks even beter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

How do I know which sections needs to be and which are not? I know some hairs will just naturally want to be together and dread, how do I know which are which? I don't want to be counterproductive and be separating dreads that want to be together.

Is there anything else I can/should do to help then section well? I've seen pictures where people clearly in the early stages have yarn wrapping or beads that seem like they are just helping hold sections together.

With washing I just truly wash when it needs it. My life is pretty settled and bland and sometimes my hair just doesn't need washing that often. Should I wash it anyway??

Also, when do people start putting in beads and things? I know I have a ways to go, a long ways, but I really love the look of some of the deco dreads with yarns and beads and things. When/how to I get yarn to work in too? Can you do that with the natural method? if so how and when do I do that?

Oh, and I have a picture of my hair I can share. It's right after I took out my braid, it's been a few hours now and it is sectioned differently from just being down. I'm working on getting a picture of that.

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

One more thing: My hair length now is about as long as I ever intend for it to be, so should I get a cut before starting? especially since I like the natural ends that aren't blunted? Can you cut dreadlocks after the fact to keep your hair at a certain length?

I'm debating donating some to Locks of Love before getting started, which will give me a shorter starting length, and more time for grow room before it's longer than I like.

(I tried to edit my previous post to say this, and then it got stuck at saying "saving" and now it doesn't show up, forgive me if this shows up twice.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

I wouldn't cut before starting because they will shrink up as they knot & lose length. (I regret cutting mine shortly before "starting")

Some ends will stay loose, some may blunt themselves. If you leave them be & they blunt you can gently brush the ends out if you'd like.

You can cut them. I was told to cut in a diagonal instead of straight across the dread & wash right after to get any hair that will come loose from the ends out. That will also help keep the loose wispy tips.

Alicia S said:

One more thing: My hair length now is about as long as I ever intend for it to be, so should I get a cut before starting? especially since I like the natural ends that aren't blunted? Can you cut dreadlocks after the fact to keep your hair at a certain length?

I'm debating donating some to Locks of Love before getting started, which will give me a shorter starting length, and more time for grow room before it's longer than I like.

(I tried to edit my previous post to say this, and then it got stuck at saying "saving" and now it doesn't show up, forgive me if this shows up twice.

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

thanks lxchel! I'll not cut it and we'll see how it goes from here!

I'm so excited for the jorney to see what my hair becomes!

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

check out this forum post. i showed a picture of a women with super long hair and natural dreads. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/part-sectioned-tnr-work-in-progress?xg_source=activity#.UFft_allSEg

Amanda12
@amanda12
12 years ago
46 posts
My hair was super long when i started neglect dreads just 3 months ago. Just know it will shrink a lot! You can look at my pictures and see if that helps.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form