Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ok i need help!! calling all veteran dreadies!!!

dreadmojo
@dreadmojo
12 years ago
25 posts

ok so i am a noob at this i admit it i am im 21 yrs old male and for the time ive able to style my own hair ive just had it short and curly or big fro, now i have african textured hair but am a Caucasian Hispanic mutty mix...

ok long story shirt i just put in my dreads on friday night threw yesterday...being the noob i am i used the back comb method...taking advice from dreadheadhq...now what i used was the backcomb method, with lock peppa and locking acclerator, as well as jamican mango and lime and hair elastics at the tips...and since then i have just been using palm rolling and lock sculpta...

ok so now i stumble onto this site :/

so help me!! what can i do to save my dreads??? my hair is about 4 to 5 inches in length and the reason i wanted to do the back comb method is cause i needed results withing like 6 months and i know i am not patient and no i dont have money to go out and buy expensive shampoos and shit btw i got the dreadheadhq residue free soap havnt washed the dreads yet but what i was planning on using....

but from what i read so far ive done just about everthing wrong except use wax thank the creator...

so advice and help i need it pleaseeee!!! i really really dont wanna start all over again i would be heartbroken and probably wouldnt try this again :( i feel really sad right now too cause i did this for my 21st bday and was all looking foward to this and i failed :/ really really is a blow to the ego...

updated by @dreadmojo: 02/14/15 05:29:40AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Number 1: you won't have mature locks in 6 months. It just won't happen. No matter what you do. In 6 months you will have maturing lock, but they will still be messy. On average, locks take around a year to mature.

2: Wash the lock peppa and gel and all that product out of your hair. Product leaves residue which builds up and can cause mold and mildew.

3: If you don't have the cash for shampoo's, use the Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar wash. You can get a gallon of ACV for a few bucks and it'll last you a year. And a box of BS only costs $1-$2.

4: Ditch the DHHQ shampoo. It's extremely toxic and was never intended to be used on locks. It was justre-marketedfor them.

5: NEVER palm roll. Check this video out: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/why-not-to-palm-roll

6: Don't use rubber bands. They are too tight and prevent locking. Because they hold you hair in place, they prevent movement. They need to be able to move freely in order to tangle. Tangling is what creates knots. If you stop this, you will never see knots form. Beads, on the other hand, help keep your locks separated, and they act like little imitation knots and help form new knots.

Dreadlocks take time and patience. I know you want them soon, but it is just not a possibility unless you are willing to ruin your hair and only have locks for a couple of years before they snap off or rot off from the inside out.

All you have to do is wash 2-3 times a week, and separate. I've got a separating tutorial on my page if you need help.

And do you see how your locks stick up like Sideshow Bob? That shouldn't be. That means they are too tight against your scalp. Hopefully when you wash it will flatten them out. if not, you may have to invest in some jojoba oil and massage it into your roots to loosen them up. Roots should be loose in the beginning. About 1/2 inch to 2 inches of loose/straight hair is healthy. When they mature, that will become 1/4 to 1/2 inch. But there will always be loose hair at the roots.
Check out the dreaducation page

dreadmojo
@dreadmojo
12 years ago
25 posts

ok thanks that was very helpful now is it bad or good to wear hats? and should i wear one at night?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

No reason to wear one at all. Unless you need to for work. And in that case, wear a tam. You don't want to wear caps, or beanies. They are too tight and prevent knotting, they also cause locks to grow in flat.
If you want to wear a hat at all, a tam is the best bet. They are loose fitting and allow for your locks to move around in them. You can find a bunch on etsy, and the shops on this site offer some cool ones

dreadmojo
@dreadmojo
12 years ago
25 posts

and also can i use a little of the rip and tear method to tighten up the backcomb? and im talking about the method of getting a loc separating combining again separating at different spot combining ext. thats the rip and tear method right? or the twist and rip? a friend of mine did the back combing and sectioning but she was cool and didnt backcombe the shit outa my hair it wasnt to tight...and for moisturizing the roots can i use aloe?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Nope. If you TnR them again, they will just get set back to day one. You need to tips to be loose, anyway. Blunted or tight tips hold water longer and take as much as 5 times longer to dry. This can also cause mold because water sits for longer.

If your hair is really African textured, you could use aloe, but aloe tends to condition, and will cause them to unravel when you wash. Jojoba oil is a better bet

dreadmojo
@dreadmojo
12 years ago
25 posts

ok so i did first washing washed with baking soda rinse(1 gallon of water, used 1/4 b.s, 8 drops of tea tree oil, spash of non iodized sea salt) let sit for like 8 mins then rinsed with acv rinse (a splash of acv to 1 gallon of water) then rinsed with reg water for a bit i uploaded a file of what it looks like, it looks and feels so much better, not as tight and really fresh thanks so much man u rock baba fats

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

remove the bands

throw away the lock sculpta (thanbk god it wasnt the lock docta or your really be screwed)

wash your dreads but i wouldnt use the dhhq crap thats really toxic

www.dreadlockshampoo.com makes the best shampoos for dreads

stopesin with em just leave em alone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dreadmojo
@dreadmojo
12 years ago
25 posts

cool man thanx for the response yup did all that now its just time and patience and washing lol thanks again everyone for all the help

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

looks like everyone covered your questions well, just wanted to welcome you to the site & hope your dread journey goes smooth from here on out & is enjoyable for you!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form