Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dry Dreads/ Fine hair/ Separation

Ashley Marz
@ashley-marz
12 years ago
7 posts

Background: I did the RnT which I wish Ijust did thenatural methodbut im 3 months in and some dreads are really dreaded so I don't want to start over. I have used baking soda/ACV rinse (makes my hair feel really dry), Dr. B and Knotty boybut I feel they weigh my dreads down (I have fine hair). I don't do anything to them but wash them and separate them (I don't want to damage my scalp or have bald spots in the futuredue to unnecessary maintenance).

I know strinkage is normal but on my neck I have some long dreads and some stubs some dreads have shrunk9 inches back there(seriously). is this normal?

My biggest frustration is separation. I have some straight hair (which im tryin to let that just dread naturally) and some dreaded hair and within one day they arealreadyknotted toother dreads and trying to separate them is really hard idk if its because my hair is so dry? andno matter howgently I try to separate themmy hair breaks so easily. I just really want to keep mydreads in healthy shape. Also sometimes when I separate my scalp hurts a little and i'm not pulling hard at all. I want to keep my hair healthy and I do have fine hair but the breakage worries. Maybe im overthinking..But would love any advise or just to know others have been in the same boat with their journey. OneLove.

updated by @ashley-marz: 01/13/15 09:34:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

maybe been using too much bs not enough acv try the dreadlockshampoo.com bars (not knottyboy ..bad dready!!)

u can also try lil aloe or something u dont want it so dry its breaking

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Eagles right. And if you don't mind letting us know, where in the US are you? Some soaps, like Dr. B's and BS, don't like hard water. They just don't rinse out well, and Dr. B's leaves a heavy residue. That could be why it makes your hair feels heavy. The soaps from dreadlockshampoo,com are designed to work in hard or soft water.

Ashley Marz
@ashley-marz
12 years ago
7 posts

Wisconsin...I'll have to ordersomething from dreadlockshampoo.com causei'm pretty worried about them.I'llalso try using more ACV in my rinse. Thanks so much for the advise Eagle andBaba.

Baba Fats said:

Eagles right. And if you don't mind letting us know, where in the US are you? Some soaps, like Dr. B's and BS, don't like hard water. They just don't rinse out well, and Dr. B's leaves a heavy residue. That could be why it makes your hair feels heavy. The soaps from dreadlockshampoo,com are designed to work in hard or soft water.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Just what I figures. Wisconsin has a mix of Extremely Hard/Very hard/ and hard water. The Bronners is just not rinsing out. How many times did you use it or the Knottyboy stuff? If once or twice, a couple of rinse with ACV should help get the residue out. If multiple times, you may want to do a residue removal session to help clean it up. A good clarifying shampoo will do the trick. But don't over use it. Clarifying shampoos leave a residue of their own, but that can be washed out easier with the dreadlockshampoo.com soaps

Kyle Hayward
@kyle-hayward
12 years ago
3 posts
I'm opposite lol I'm using BS and acv and my hair seems greasy
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

BS doesn't rinse out well in hard water, either. Do you ever have white flakes or gunk left over, that's not dandruff?

Also, greasy or oily hair comes from it being too acidic. The ACV might be too much right now. How much are you using?

You should try only using it once a week in tiny amounts (1capfulfor 1 gallon of water). This will help push your pH back to the slightlyalkaline side of the scale. When it stops being oily and greasy, you could reintroduce the ACV to your wash regularly, but still in small amounts.

Also, this wont help the fact that BS doesn't dissolve well in hard water. Have you tried boiling your water first? If you boil it and very gently pour off the pure water (don't pour it all off, leave some at the bottom, because this is where all the undissolved minerals sank. You don't want to reintroduce them to the pure water) you can try washing with that and you may see a huge difference. Try doing this until you get the dreadlockshampoo.com soaps

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form