Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi there :)

Tattyhead
@tattyhead
12 years ago
4 posts

So yeah, I'm TattyHead! Getting ready to start my dread lock journey again in the next week or so after re-growing my hair for a couple of years. I had dreads about 3 years ago but sadly the person who helped me put them in insisted on "beeswax" so i ended up with a head full of goop and crochet hook holes.

This time, I plan on going waxless and just doing a 2 week prep of braids and getting the conditioner out of my hair before the fun begins!

Any pointers, tips or advice is most welcome!

Apart from my dead head. I love to skate (longboard), I listen to pretty much any music with a few exceptions and im big on gaming and pretty much anything geeky.

Hope this is an okay introduction, if you want to know anything else about me, feel free to ask!

updated by @tattyhead: 01/13/15 09:33:59PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Just wash and separate. Wash every 2-4 days. Don't rub your head with a towel to dry. Just let them air dry as much as you can. Short bursts with a blow drier are ok if you need them dry fast, but move it around a lot to avoid heat damage.

What soap/wash are you planning on using?

I just got into longboarding last week. Glad to meet another boarder. My old guitarist skates, but on normal boards. I could never get comfortable on one.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome isnt it funny how some ppl insist you have to make the same mistake they made/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tattyhead
@tattyhead
12 years ago
4 posts

I guess she meant well soaring eagle, i was a dread noob so i didnt know better.

Thanks for the advice baba fats, i plan on using either a lush bar (after i look into them more) or making some natural stuff (saw things for lemon and salt scrubs). I used to ride regular boards but I have to admit, I love to just cruise the roads, much more relaxed :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't use lemon in your hair. Lemon juice is citric acid. It's very strong. Much stronger than acetic acid, which is what vinegar is. Citric acid penetrates the hair shaft and degrades it from the inside out. When you see hair lighten from using lemon/lime juice, that is due to the hair being dissolved.

I can't attest to lush, but ask Heather or Eagle about it. Some of their ingredients might be more damaging than your think. And just because a soap is natural, doesn't mean it's dreadlock friendly.

I just cruise around right now, and try to carve. My trucks aren't tight enough to bomb hills yet. But when I get more comfortable on it, I may get better suited trucks for that

Tattyhead
@tattyhead
12 years ago
4 posts

Do you have any suggestions for shampoos?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I am a big fan of the Baking soda/Apple Cider Vinegar wash. It's a no-touch wash, so you just pour it on your head and let it soak for 10 minutes then rinse it off, then pour on the ACV and rinse it off right away. You can add whatever oils you want. But it doesn't work so well it hard water.

Dr. Bronners is nice, but again, doesn't work well in hard water.

I did use the soaps from dreadlockshampoo.com a few times. They smell great, and you always walk away feeling super clean. They sell liquid and bar soaps, and it works in hard or soft water. I'd keep using it, but I like being able to add different oils to the BS wash

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
12 years ago
175 posts

hi nice story. i mean its good to share ur experiences :) ur doin the right things now i see. good work keep posting progress pics. u hav joind the right forum for sure! good luck hope this time will b much more peace filled journey

:)

Tattyhead
@tattyhead
12 years ago
4 posts

thanks jazzymomma! Ill be posting up some more progress pics soon so check em out :) I think im coming up to about week 15 - 17 right now. Still loving the locks and the frizz. Getting some great compliments from people now too!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form