Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mature dreads itching, but no apparent cause??

Kristen
@kristen
12 years ago
7 posts

Ok, so here's the problem. I've had my dreads for almost 4 years now and recently they've started getting really itchy again. I'm sure many (if not all) of you would have experienced that time in the beginning stages of having dreads when your scalp is still adjusting and you scratched your scalp a lot? Thats almost kind of what it's like now. I haven't changed my cleansing routine, I haven't got dandruff and I can't understand why this is happening because for a long time they were just fine!
The only thing I can think of is maybe the weight of them is pulling on the root too tightly and causing discomfort or something?
Can anyone shed some light on this??
Oh, and no, before anyone suggests it, I don't have lice ;)

updated by @kristen: 01/13/15 09:33:59PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your sure theres no lice or dandruff?

how are your dreads maintained how were they started

whats your wash routne

have u moved recently

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kristen
@kristen
12 years ago
7 posts

100% sure. I caught lice about 2 1/2 years ago from a friend of the family's child, so I know what that feels like, and I'd be able to see dandruff if I had it. My maintenance routine has not changed for years. I wash twice a week with natural product, never leave my hair damp so it gets mildewy, don't use wax, don't have anyone maul my hair with crochet hooks or any of that and still live in the same house. Nothing has changed, that's why I am so confused.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

weather has ..global warming is real and real trouble i cant say thats the cause but could be

i caught lice recently ..i didnt realize it for likr 2 weeks tho

or more

im still itchy from the treatment drying out my scalp but its alot beter

try a lil tearree rosemary and pepermint ois

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kristen
@kristen
12 years ago
7 posts

Yeah I guess I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it. Washing my hair seems to abate the itchiness but only for a day and then its back again, but I don't want to overwash and dry out my scalp (which would give me dandruff and no doubt make the itching worse!)

Yeah lice suck. I just used a no comb solution I got from the store. Seemed to work out, it was all natural oils and stuff so no nasties. Glad to hear you got rid of them!

Yeah I may have to try those. Thanks :)

Heaven  Caten
@heaven-caten
11 years ago
13 posts

I am having this problem too!! my dreads are only a year and a half old, but Ive made my boyfriend check for lice three times in the past two weeks, and I don't have any dandruff. If I moved to a new area, do you think it could be the water I'm not used to?

Lexi3
@lexi3
11 years ago
7 posts

I've had my dreads for 2 years. My head has been very itchy recently too. I think it's a winter problem.

Most of the year my scalp produces a healthy amount of oil and I wash it with Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Soap or Nag Champa bar soap once a week. I might get mild dandruff after 5 days without washing at worst.

But the winter I started my dreads, last winter, and this winter; my scalp has been dry, itchy, and tight feeling. I have yet to find a real working cure though. There is no dandruff. No lice.

I've been washing my hair in room temperature water about every other week now. And I keep a homemade mixture of essential oils (jojoba and nag champa diluted with extra virgin olive oil atm) in an eyedropper and apply it directly to my scalp when it itches. It works wonderfully. But after a day or so, my hair absorbs every last drop of it and the itching comes back. Without realizing it, I went through an entire eye drop bottle in a week. Even though I can't feel it, that means there's A LOT of oil in my hair right now. And I don't know if that's bad or good. Is there a more permanent fix? Would rinsing with apple cider vinegar help? I have no clue what it smells like, but I definitely don't want a vinegar scent in my hair. Is there a problem with the products I'm using?

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form