Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Brand new dreads... and they're super short?!

Sarah H
@sarah-h
12 years ago
1 posts

I just got my dreads done yesterday and my hair went from being several inches past my boobs to not even touching my shoulders... just from the backcombing. Is this natural or did she do it wrong? My dreads are ridiculously short and my previous hair was very very long. What is going on?

updated by @sarah-h: 01/13/15 09:33:49PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Totally normal. The average shrinkage people see is a loss of 1/2 - 1/3 the original length of the hair. Picture a string that's a foot long. When you knot it up ad ball it up, it'snot 12 inches long anymore. That's what happens to locks. Your boob length hair is getting knotted and balled up. So it shrinks. It'll probably lengthen again as itunravelsa bit, but it'll shrink again son enough. Locks go through a few major phases. First they shrink a ton. This can last months and months. Then they go through a phase where they seem to not grow at all, bu don't shrink either. This is when the loose hairs at the roots are snagging new growth and creating new knots at the root. This can last a few months. Then they grow like crazy. Sometimes the growth slows down a bit, but it doesn't really stop, like in the second phase, again.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sounds like they backcomvbed excessivly tight

its normal to lose alot but the tighter its done the more u lose

some backcombers fold over the ends to blunt them making it shorter still

what all was done besides backcomg was wax used?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lets see some pics

and let us know if wax was used or anything done besides backcomb

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags