Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair looks like a rat's nest

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Hi, I'm about 7 and a half months in. Originally backcombed, and then unfortunately crocheted. I'd say I've been completely maintenance free (except for separating) for about 5 or 6 months now. From the front it kiiinda looks like dreads, but in the back it just looks like a tangled up poofy rat's nest. You can't even see separate dreads back there, just random scraggles and tangles. Like it kinda looks like I just crawled out of a cave and haven't brushed my hair in a while lol. I don't really care so much how it looks, but I was just curious if this is part of the process. I just wasn't sure if they will ever actually look like dreads, or if I did something totally wrong (aside from the initial maintenace mistake).
updated by @cristin-nessen: 02/14/15 03:29:13AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

re they seperated well back there? pics?

crochet recovery does take a long time usualy so its not surprising if they are at an early teen stage when normaly theyd be approaching maturity

pics wil help tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
totally normal!Im at 7 months of twist and rip/neglect and my hair is crazy and looks nothing like dreads to anyone but the people on this site. ;p I love it. I actually just posted pics today. take a look and reassure yourself.
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
My phone is junky, so I can't really put pictures on here lol.

I just looked through your pictures that you put up today, Tied up in knots, and that's actually just about what mine look like! Yours have a bit more definition than mine, but I think that's because some of mine have long wispy ends that look just like regular hair lol. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone! :)
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
glad i could be of help.We just have to keep in mind that we all are on differnet journeys even if we all have the same destination in mind! some people are already rocking mature dreads by this time amd others are still waitingfor their first real knots.I dont mind taking the long road. so many people talk about missing the mess and all the changes and wildness. im going to revel in it as long as possible. my dreads are for life so i will have plenty of time to enjoy them after theyve matured. this stage will never come back.
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
i recommend taking a pic or t wo in direct sunlight like i did. even if you dont post it. you might be surprised. when i just look in a mirror i dont see the definition or separationthat is visible in the pictures. its all about the flattering lighting!
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
I totally know what you mean! It's been fascinating watching all the changes! It's so crazy and interesting!And SE, sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I do separate pretty good. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm going a little overboard even lol. Anytime I feel a hair that seems oitta place, I break it away. I think it's just that my progress is going a bit slower than some. And like you said, quite likely due to the crochet. It's a shame that people get sucked into that. On a positive note though, that whole over-maintaind experience made me love and appreciate the natural look SO much! :)
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
How often do you separate? maybe try doing it just once a week. you want your scalp to be covered not showing up clearly when you separateyour dreads. you dont want to separate too often. some of those hairs are good to be tangled. Baba Fats recently posted a vid about separating you should check it out.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u should write up yoir experience with crochet the more we have the more ppl will find em and hopefully be steered away from such harmful practices

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
I just saw the comment about taking pics in the light. That's a really good idea! I have actually noticed that in some pics I like the looks of them a little better lol. And yeah, I'll have to check out that video. I definitely don't wanna be causing more damage than good. I probably should settle down on the separating a bi haha. And yes, I definitely should post my crochet experience! Good idea! I don't want people unkowingly screwing up their hair because they've been misinformed. That's terrible. Had I found this info before doing my dreads, I never woulda crocheted :(
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form