dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

White stuff that isn't mold?

Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

Hey gang!

Lately (a month or two) I've noticed white stuff accumulating at the tips of my year-and-a-half freeform dreads. My hair does not smell or itch, and I do not believe this to be mold or rot. On the other hand, it does seem to be spreading throughout the tips.

I wash twice a week with BS and oils (tea tree, peppermint, rosemary). On and off, I have also used ACV but found I do not really need it.

My question is this - WHAT is it? could it be the result of using too much BS in the mixture? Has anyone experienced this? I have been experimenting with the ratios throughout the whole time, but have never had this issue.

Attached are three different dreads which are having this problem. All of the dreads have different kinds of tips - flat, bulky, etc.

Jah bless!

Also, I figured I might as well add one or two of the whole head. :-)

updated by @yonatan-hurwitz: 02/14/15 09:58:38AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

What ratios are you using now? It looks a bit like slime mold, but that probably wouldn't be the variety that would grow in locks. So My guess is that it is some type of residue. Sometimes BS doesn't rinse out all the way, or the sebum from your scalp may get stuck in your locks. It'll help us more to know what your ratios and routine is.

On second look, the second pic almost looks like lint that got felted into the tip. This happens to me all the time with one of my wool hoodies

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

more likely lint/wool fuzz type stuff

acv should always be used when bs is used or the ph will be thrown way off

if its lint trty scrubbing well with the barxs from dreadlockshampoo.com the whole dread that will remove almost all

if theres still some spraty with a vey strong black tea to stain wgats left

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

Well, first off I have hard water here. I've been using boiled water in the past few months to avoid any hard water issues which may arise.

As of now, the ratios are 2-3 table spoons of BS to a mug of hot water. I put it in a "diner ketchup" like bottle with a long nose, in order to reach the roots. Add the oils. Wet the hair, Put the mixture on. massage with fingertips into scalp. Let it soak for 5 - 10 minutes.

I have been covering my head with a towel for the duration of the soak since pretty much day 1, but in an attempt to curb the spread of the whiteness, I have stopped covering my hair. I figured maybe it would help. Still too early to tell, as it has only been several weeks without a towel on my head. Now I just stay in the shower and let it sit.

I do use a wool hat, but this, too, is from day 1. I usually wear bandanas.
Anything else??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

on closer inspection im not sure it is lint/fuzz a macro shot in great focus would help youd need the dread laying flat on a surface held so theres no movement and a tripod on the macro setting and a good quality high megapixel camera that would allow exreme zooming in to the actual fuzzinbess to get a clearer look at what it is

alternately u could take a sample and even a cheapo kids microscope might give a clear enough view to tell if it is a mold or a lint

does the color match your sheets/blankets or fave tam?

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ok, 2-3 tbls to a mug of water is way way too strong. I use 2-3 tbls in 5 cups of water. You're almost making a paste, not a solution.

2) do you leave the towel on till they dry?

3) do you wear a tam right after you shower? like to keep them up and out of the way?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

when its damp theres no smell?

what color towel

3 tablespoons per mug maybe tio much is the water fairly clear or slightly clowdy or more whitish

Yonatan Hurwitz said:

Well, first off I have hard water here. I've been using boiled water in the past few months to avoid any hard water issues which may arise.

As of now, the ratios are 2-3 table spoons of BS to a mug of hot water. I put it in a "diner ketchup" like bottle with a long nose, in order to reach the roots. Add the oils. Wet the hair, Put the mixture on. massage with fingertips into scalp. Let it soak for 5 - 10 minutes.

I have been covering my head with a towel for the duration of the soak since pretty much day 1, but in an attempt to curb the spread of the whiteness, I have stopped covering my hair. I figured maybe it would help. Still too early to tell, as it has only been several weeks without a towel on my head. Now I just stay in the shower and let it sit.

I do use a wool hat, but this, too, is from day 1. I usually wear bandanas.
Anything else??

--
Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

Not sure if I can get a macro shot, unfortunately.

The color matches not my sheets but rather the BS mixture (a hazy white), which is why it was my immediate suspect.

I cannot order anything online, since I thankfully have no credit card.

Assuming it IS removable and is NOT mold, what would best remove it other than a bar from the site?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Oh, And I can't believe I forgot this. BS doesn't rinse out well in hard water

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Boil your water first. Then let it cool down and let the minerals settle to the bottom of the pot. Gently pour the water into another container. DON'T pour it all or else you'll just mix in the minerals again.

Mix your BS and whatever oils you like or not. wash. Do the same with your ACV rinse.

The vinegar is probably going to help a lot with getting rid of the white stuff.

But from now on, don't mix so much BS with so little water. Say you keep using that mug. most mugs are a little less than 2 cups or so. You should only have about 1-1.25 tbls BS added

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form