dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any tips on neglect dreadlocks method?

joe smith
@joe-smith
12 years ago
11 posts

just wondering if there are any tips on neglect dreads

will baking soda and water mixed together work the same as anti residue shampoo?
how often do i need to wash my hair?
how long will it take to start dreading approximatley
how long until i have a full head of dreads
will i need to rip the dreads apart
if i preferably want thin dreads will i need to rip the dreads apart more

just questions like these if you can anwser these it will help me so much
if you have any other things that are important please tell me

thank you

updated by @joe-smith: 01/13/15 09:33:36PM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Baking soda gets the best reviews from people here, it removes oils, dead cells... But it doesn't work if you have hard water. In that case, you should distill or boil it.

You need to wash your hair as often as you need to wash your hair. When you feel it should be washed, you do that. Usually every 3 days is okay. It can be more often, but the hair needs to have enough time to dry before you wash it again.

As for the time it'll take you... It's individual, it happens at a different pace for everyone. It's kinda better if you don't have the time on your mind, otherwise you might feel discouraged if your hair doesn't 'perform' as 'well' as it is 'supposed' to. No matter how much time it takes you, it will happen eventually. You just have to be patient with it.

You will have to rip them apart to prevent congos (two or more dreads combining into one). And yes, if you want them thinner, separate more often.

joe smith
@joe-smith
12 years ago
11 posts

thanks heaps. just one question. what do you mean by hard water and that i should distill or boil it. thanks

Rainbow Fortune said:

Baking soda gets the best reviews from people here, it removes oils, dead cells... But it doesn't work if you have hard water. In that case, you should distill or boil it.

You need to wash your hair as often as you need to wash your hair. When you feel it should be washed, you do that. Usually every 3 days is okay. It can be more often, but the hair needs to have enough time to dry before you wash it again.

As for the time it'll take you... It's individual, it happens at a different pace for everyone. It's kinda better if you don't have the time on your mind, otherwise you might feel discouraged if your hair doesn't 'perform' as 'well' as it is 'supposed' to. No matter how much time it takes you, it will happen eventually. You just have to be patient with it.

You will have to rip them apart to prevent congos (two or more dreads combining into one). And yes, if you want them thinner, separate more often.

Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Well, hard water has a lot of minerals in contrast with soft water. It depends on where you live. You can google your area and try finding out, there are usually maps of some sort.

If you do have hard water, BS will not rinse out completely, so you should either buy a shower head with a filter for soft water, distill water, or wash with something else that rinses out in hard water.

To distill water, you need to have two containers, one that's bigger, that one will be black, and a smaller white one. Connect them with a tube and fill the black one with the water you have. Leave it out in the sun, and as the water evaporates, it goes through the tube into the white one. The water in the white one is distilled.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There are youtube videos all over for how to make distilleries like that.

So, Rainbow pretty much answered everything, thanks.

Wash your hair as often as you want. More is better. If you feel dry, or itchy, or scratchy, wash it. As long as your hair dries completely between washes, it doesn't matter how often you do. Most baby locks enjoy between 2-3 times a week.

There are too many factors to give you a good estimate on how long the process takes. Eagle had some of his locks form within a week. Mine took over a year to look like anything other that a rats nest. How long your hair is, how you sleep, how often you wash.what with, what texture your hair is, how you dry your hair, etc.

The best thing to do is forget about the fist day you started. Actively try to forget ho old hey are. Don't celebrate their week/month/year birthday. The more you focus on how old they are, the long you wil just see yourself as someone-with-locks. If you don't pay attention to dates, and picture yourself as having locks, no matter what they look like now, time will move by faster, and you will be happy andsurprised by all the progress.

You will have to rip them apart. But not until they start to congo together. Most likely that fist few weeks won't show enough progress to need separating like that. But as the start sectioning off, and the sections grab hold of other sections, that when you want to pull them apart. And don't separate them all the way to the scalp. There has to be some sort of constant state of messiness at the root. This protects your scalp from sun damage. Just make sure the body of the locks are not tangled together.

For drying, don't rub your head with a towel. It's actually counter-productive

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

work the same no 1 is a shampoo the ip[otgers a soak will you be aboe to clwan your hair with either yes advantage of bs is your not rubbing the scalp so no hairs unknotted

wash 1-3 tines a week

u start dreading when i find a dread u have a full head when u have more dreads then loose hair

oh you wanted a measurement in time? i dont own a watch or calander

but 1st question the sun will go across the sky and you'll probly run out of finger to vount

second question the moon will do the same but you'll probly have a pinky left

but then again it may depend on your counting skills and how obswevant you are

will u have to rip them apart

well have to no should u yes

if you dont rip dread apart they will try to become bigger dreads by swallowing their neighbours

if u want thin dreads u will have to seperate em so they dont get bigger..does that kmean more often/ not nesacarily but more vigiliantly probably

and last tip

lose your watch and calander along with comb and conditioner

when you tell time by light and dark hot and cold you dont pay as close attention to time so the wait for dreads isnt a wait at all you wont remember how long it took but it wont seem like long

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

you say don't separate all the way to the scalp but i've been having issues with new growth growing into the wrong dreads and creating a criss cross of two dreads near the root. i've been either gently pulling the offending hair(s) out of the wrong dread or ripping it. i don't want to end up with a web effect at my roots. would it be best to just leave it be?

Baba Fats said:

There are youtube videos all over for how to make distilleries like that.

So, Rainbow pretty much answered everything, thanks.

Wash your hair as often as you want. More is better. If you feel dry, or itchy, or scratchy, wash it. As long as your hair dries completely between washes, it doesn't matter how often you do. Most baby locks enjoy between 2-3 times a week.

There are too many factors to give you a good estimate on how long the process takes. Eagle had some of his locks form within a week. Mine took over a year to look like anything other that a rats nest. How long your hair is, how you sleep, how often you wash.what with, what texture your hair is, how you dry your hair, etc.

The best thing to do is forget about the fist day you started. Actively try to forget ho old hey are. Don't celebrate their week/month/year birthday. The more you focus on how old they are, the long you wil just see yourself as someone-with-locks. If you don't pay attention to dates, and picture yourself as having locks, no matter what they look like now, time will move by faster, and you will be happy andsurprised by all the progress.

You will have to rip them apart. But not until they start to congo together. Most likely that fist few weeks won't show enough progress to need separating like that. But as the start sectioning off, and the sections grab hold of other sections, that when you want to pull them apart. And don't separate them all the way to the scalp. There has to be some sort of constant state of messiness at the root. This protects your scalp from sun damage. Just make sure the body of the locks are not tangled together.

For drying, don't rub your head with a towel. It's actually counter-productive

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Leave it be for now. They should always be in a state of somewhat tangled together at your scalp. As they grow out, and the crossing of starts being part of the body of the lock, then rip them apart. it doesn't hurt. It's not as bad as it sounds.

I'll post a video in a bit about what I mean. Hopefully it'll clear some things up for you and everyone

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

that would be great. thanks, baba:)

Baba Fats said:

Leave it be for now. They should always be in a state of somewhat tangled together at your scalp. As they grow out, and the crossing of starts being part of the body of the lock, then rip them apart. it doesn't hurt. It's not as bad as it sounds.

I'll post a video in a bit about what I mean. Hopefully it'll clear some things up for you and everyone

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

done

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form