Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

not sure if i want to keep my dreadlocks.

AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

so i am 14 months into my journey. my dreads are all locked up but arevery short and filled with loose hair. i dont really do any maintenance. i so look forward to when they get long and more mature. i started dreadlocks to coincide with my weightloss journey. to see how they change as i changed. ive lost 70lbs so far and half 70 more to go. i would love to keep them to at least my goal weight...the problem. they dont fit my lifestyle. because they are so short i have a very difficult time putting them up. i have one bun style i can wear them in. i cant leave them down because its too hot in texas. its also very painfull to have them up like this for too long.sometimes they drive me crazy. i love how natural and free my dreadlocks are, but i still like to look nice. and i need to start applying for jobs soon and i think im going to have some real trouble since im looking in the customer service area. and now i've come up against another wall. i horseback ride for enjoyment and exercise. its something very important to me. now im starting english lessons where i will need to ride in a helmet. theres just no way i can get a helmet on and still have my hair up. its too thick. i dont know what to do. ive had thought about taking them out before and i feel like thats giving up somehow. i started dreading to have a sort of a freeing experience and i feel morse strapped down then ever. maybe they just arent for me...any insight?

updated by @alyssaanne: 02/14/15 04:57:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

another few months and they will be alot longer there are other les painful ays to tie em up u juat havent discovered yet

u can fit the helmet on with them down cant u

instead of tying in a bun put em in a dread hat of some kind

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

my dreads are growing very slowly and i get about a half inch every 3 months because they are fattys. i went to the tack store today and not even an extra large fit over my hair. the problem is the thickness at the base of my neck, so even with them down it doesnt work. about other less painful ways i cant find any. today i wore the dreads in a series of ties down my head and i got a headache after about 4 hours. i think its time. i love them, i do, but it shouldnt be this hard. its just not a good fit for me anymore. its kinda like dropping a long term relastionship. lol. you still love them, but its just not right anymore. i bought some very good detangler and i will probably start tonight and last a few days. i will most likely cry, but i will take pictures of the process. i know this is like heresy on this site, but i want to document my journey in its entirety. thank you guys so much for the info you provide on this site. it truely helped me so many times. love you all

-alyssa

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

im sure in no time u will be dreading again and when yiu do keep them smaller and they will fit better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If they were thinner, they'd fit better under a helmet. I'm not into any sport other than paintball, and rock climbing, if you can call rockclimbinga sport. But I have super fat locks too, and have had issues like you're having. It's hard to get my paintball mask to feel right with the strap over the back of my head. I was also a cook, and had to wear a baseball cap for years before I finally got my argument recognized by corporate to let me wear a tam.

I understand your frustration. But as they grow out, if you haven't already begun taking them apart, there will always be a little bit of loose, straight hair but the root. This 1-2 inchs makes them feel much more comfortable under a helmet. Biotin can help speed up the growing process. I just started taking it and have seen a bit of difference already with it filling in a genetic bald spot.

Once they get to a certain length, they are much more comfortable, too.

But in the mean time, have you thought about wearing a silk, or anything shear, fabric around them as a wrap? This way, you can keep them down while you ride, and don't have to put them in a bun under your helmet. Plus a shear fabric will be smooth and feel cool on your neck so that you don't overheat.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

And, with a satin wrap, it's thin enough to not add any thickness but also the slickness might help with getting the helmet on. I actually put plastic bags on my feet when I get new leather boots because my arches are too high to pull them on. The slickness of the bags make the boots slide on like butter and then I yank them off, pushing my foot through. After a while the leather stretches out to where I don't need to do this anymore but I'm just trying to illustrate a point with the satin head scarfs. It may be worth a try before going through, what reads to be, possible heartache from a loss.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I would also like to add that, I had no trouble finding work in retail/customer service with my dreads and they were at 2 months when I started; 4 months now. I also work in a beauty supply store which, I thought the craziness of my growing locs would really work against me. It didn't and it hasn't been an issue at all. Even with the clientele.

I don't know if this helps alleviate some of the stress of thinking about looking for work while growing dreads but, I figure I would just throw it out there.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

everyone needs to makedecisionsthat are right for them. i hope your able to comb them out without trouble. i, for one, would love to see pics of the process. i have no intentions of brushing mine out anytime soon but if i do in the future then i would love to see how the process goes. i just might take the easy way out and shave my head though:)

AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

the process has begun. i feel better already. im the type of person that agonizes over something, but once a decision is made im going through with it. i appreciate your comments about hats/silks/etc for helping them, but i think thats kinda my point. i dont want to hide/work around them anymore. i feel a little trapped but them sometimes. as for the combing out: its as hard ans you think it is. i got 5 out tonight. 30 to go. the small ones take about 30-45 mins and the big ones about 45-75 mins. the product i got isnt any good. its a great conditioner, but i think what you need is a really cheap conditioner with alot of silicates/slip. sooo i've been going dry. i think thats best anyways,because when your hair is wet its more fagile. my hair is coming out very frizzy (because its been kinked so long) but very soft and healthy. :) thx you guys for all the advice again. i promise i will update this post with pics after its all done. that may take up to a week tho. be prepared. lol

AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

still brushing...

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form