Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Curious about a potentially "outrageous" method of thinning dreadlocks..

Devon
@devon
12 years ago
19 posts

I've been growing dreadlocks for over a year now, and the thickness of some of my locks is concerning me. A few of the thicker ones take over a day to dry, so I'm worried that I could get dread rot and that these locks aren't rinsing out and being cleaned properly. They're also very tight.. I had used Knotty Boy's lock gel a good bit when I was just starting the dreading journey, and I believe this is the reason why these larger dreads are so almost unnaturally tight (I have never used wax and I no longer use the gel). I'm not really actually considering trying this method, but I am curious... What would happen if one were to take a knife and, probably starting from the root of the dread, cut a dreadlock vertically in half so that it became two dreadlocks? My hair used to be straight, so I think that the amount of hair I'd slice through would be minimal, and the dreads would probably stay together because of their tightness. I'm mostly just curious, this seems like an extreme resort haha. Thanks for your input and/or advice =)

updated by @devon: 01/13/15 09:33:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it would stay together just like crochet dread s stay togerher despite being chopped up into ity bitty peices

but u wilp slice through every hair in the dread a few times at least

your straight hairs not straight no more its crumpled up into a mat

like take a string cut in 1/2 u git 2 peices ball it up into a tight ball tghencut the ball in 1/2 u probly get 509 peices

instead do an anti residue shampoo to get the gel gunk out

how thick is the thicket

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Devon
@devon
12 years ago
19 posts

Thanks for your reply Soaring Eagle =) The gel gunk actually rises out when you wash your hair, so none of it is currently in my dreads. It was mostly made of aloe vera and hemp oil. Some of my dreads are about an inch and a quarter thick in some places.. It seems more than that because of the tightness.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Have you tried blasting the really thick ones with a hair dryer? Hit up Baba because he has some tricks and tips for handling fat dreads.

Devon
@devon
12 years ago
19 posts

I've hair dried my dreads before.. What is that supposed to do, loosen the hairs? And I'm not sure who Baba is haha. Thanks for your suggestion =D

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Baba Fats: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/profile/EvanBaum?xg_source=activity

Also, using a hair dryer will just help dry the hair faster. It's best to use a diffuser or in short bursts.

I've used a hair dryer in my earlier months and it never loosened my dreads so that probably has a lot to do with how you use it.

Devon
@devon
12 years ago
19 posts

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form