Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just decided on Dreadlocks. Need some help.

Alexander Ryan
@alexander-ryan
12 years ago
3 posts

Heyeverybody.AlrightsoI'vedecided that I want to grow out some awesome dreadlocks. I dont really want to put waxes or anything in it i just want to let my hair grow out and lock up. I have a few question though. My hair is pretty short right now but when it grows out during the day it will get kind of gettangledand messy but when i get in the shower and rub my head it untangles. So should i wear a shower cap? Or just not touch my hair? And what kind of shampoos are "Residue free?" Thanks for any help

updated by @alexander-ryan: 01/13/15 09:32:19PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The natural progression of locks is 1 step forward 2 steps back. They will tangle, then get washed out. Then tangle again (A bit more this time), then get washed out. They tangle even more. Eventually they will start to tangle enough that they begin to shrink as the knots and loops catch onto themselves. This takes months and months. The messiest stage is around the 4th month. Then they will start coming together more nicely.

Don't wear anything on your head when you shower. Don't tie them up or wear a hat until they completely dry out. You can touch your hair, but doing it too much can mess with the progress. The oils on your hands will transfer to your hair and make them a bit slick. The only time you really need to touch them is when you separate the sections to prevent congoing.

As for soaps: Dr. Bronners is good, but only works well in soft water. It doesn't rinse out well in hard water. Dreadlockshampoo.com offer a wide selection of liquid and bar soaps that work well in any water type. I swear by the Baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash. As do many other here. It's a no-touch wash You just pour on the BS mixture. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off. The pour on the ACV mix and rinse it right away. You don't have to nor should you scrub your head at all. You can add whatever oils you want for scent.

All the other soaps you need to scrub your scalp. DON'T wash your hair itself. Just scrub your scalp and rinse it out. As it rinses, it'll run through your hair cleaning it

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you can use the baking soda recipe wich is a no scrub methoid

and if yiu use a shampoo get a dread freindly 1 the best are www.dreadlockshampoo.com then when u wash dont scrub the hair instead only scrub the scalp then rinse thru the hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 note on babas reply

the oils you add arent for scent (pr\imarily) they are medicinal to treate conditions like dandruff they smell nice but the primary purpose is medicinal

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

True. I've never had a dandruff problem. The only issue I have is that I'm balding. So I add my oils mainly for scent. But, then again, I use oils that are for a healthy scalp. Teatree and rosemary

Alexander Ryan
@alexander-ryan
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks guys. One more thing. Will sweating alot kinder the process? I work outside and exercise frequently so my head i always sweaty haha.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

nope will help the process if anything however

sweats not pure salt and water it has bacteru=ia as well as toxins from poor diets so smells if not washed

if you are raw vegan as an example your sweat wont smell at all

if yiu eat tv dinner s that look like they were puked up 3 or 4 times already.. your goindg to stink so bad 5 minutes after a shower

just keep in mind that your sweats only as clean as what you put into your body

--
Alexander Ryan
@alexander-ryan
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks man. Even moreinspirationto eathealthier. No one wants smelly dreads! One more question! Haha sorry they arent all in one reply I just keep thinking of them, but what is hard and soft water and should I start washing my hairwith these shampoos now even though my hair is still short? Thanks again

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u can and hard water contains calcium lymstone etc heavy minerals that are deposited in the water from the rocks the water table flows through

some areas have very hard water that corrodes and clogs pipes the mineral content can make real soaps hard to rinse thats why detergents were invented

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form