Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Before i start dreading, i need some advice ! (Which Method)

Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts

Hope i put this in the right section !

So Ive wanted dreads for years , at least 4. But due to my dad, Ive never gotten them.
But Ive been doing more and more research and feel like i am able to change his opinion and stereo typical view on them. Allowing me to finally have them.

Anyways, i JUST found this site and am glad.
At first , like a lot of people (im hoping its just not me) i read on and on about Dreads through Knottyboy and DreadheadHQ .

Now that i read one thread on here. I feel like its better i ask , then just go out and get them.

First off, I cannot do the all natural way .
My skin is not made for it.

What i was planning to do, is go to The Hair Police, which is kind of a popular punk hair salon up town.
They do dreads and dread perms.
I know i do not want a dread perm. My hair is way to gentle for that. And im not huge on chemials .

Anyways, I was planning to get them to do them without the perm, which they can do. Though i do not know yet (seeing i haven't asked) how they go about dreading hair without the perm.

I guess i just want feed back and advice before i go there and pay.
I don't mind paying, it is 360 dollars all together. Though obviously free would be awesome!

Are there any other methods beside natural that i can go about getting dreads?
I don't mean to sound dumb , i thought i knew everything until i found this site.

Like i said earlier , i cannot go all natural .

And another question , i want semi "nappy" dreads , not perfect looking. Kinda like Wednesday 13's old dreads.
How do you guys go about keeping your dreads together if you don't suggest balm or wax ?

I have thin fine hair. Not as thin as my moms, i have a decent amount of hair for its fineness. If that makes sense.

Thank you all for your replies. I want to go about this right, i just get confused soon as i start seeing so many different opinions.

updated by @jessica9: 02/14/15 08:45:43AM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

You can do everything yourself. Absolutely no need for paying people for it, even if you do not want to go all natural.

You can do twist and rip, there are tutorials on here and on youtube.

You can also backcomb, but tn'r is less damaging.

The majority of people here don't go about keeping their dreads together. They just are together, knotted hair. If you put wax in them, you only create an illusion. Your hair looks matted up, but it is only glued together.

All you ever need to do (after a starter method, if you chose to do it that way) is to wash and separate them. Some of them will fall apart, some won't. Maybe they all fall apart. That's what they do and it is nothing to worry about. Creating real knots takes time, but it will happen. Any maintenance other than washing and separating isunnecessaryand potentially harmful.

Hope I covered everything. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why cant you go natural everyone can

im really confi=used why you say you dont have the right..skin..for natural? that makes no sense skin has nothing to do with it

you certainly can go natural and sounds like thats exactly what u want

but you can twist n rip too

absolutely do noy go to the hair police ive seen their site its 1 of the worse i ever saw dread perms re the worse method there is and they claim its the best

total ripoff

dreading is as easy as not combing or u can just use those 10 lil fingers to tangle your hair

350 for dreads ids a ripoff since dreads happen on their own for free

and again u can go natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts

I did a bunch of looking around while waiting for a reply and decided i will do the Twist and Rip :)

I looked at the videos and it seems easy enough . Better then paying 360 dollars.
My hair has created its own dread before in about a week. (Im a little grunger and tend to not comb my hair often, unless going out lol!!)

My hair knots REALLY easy, so i think ill have good luck with this method .
As to washing , Say i wash them every week with the Baking soda mixture , and one does come undone . Do i twist and rip it back into place ?
Whats the best way to prevent dreads from coming undone will washing? Wearing those silly leggings over them in the shower, right?

And calm roll to keep the stray hairs down?

Ill be in school while i get dreads, and i dont want to look super crazy. Lol.

And with this method, i heard its better for thin dreads.
I want my dreads to start off about as round as a 5 cent piece. I dream of dreads as round as 25 cent pieces.
But i have very thin, fine , arrow straight hair and am nervous that i wont have thicker dreads. I know they thicken with time. But im just nervous. I want these so bad, i want them to look perfect when im older.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ah forgot tio go into wax which is a scam

it only glues haur together but hardens and prevents any new knotting from happening so they b=never truly dread not in 1 year not in 10 they still arent dreaded

anything that holds prevents dreading

just let the gentlest breeze blow your hair and it tangles

wax would prevent a huricane from creating a single knot

forbet every single thing dhhq and kb said its all wrong

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok if you dread uin a week why the hell wiould you use any method but natural it sounds like your absolutely perfect for natural dreads

and palm rollings not only pointlyess but harmfull

no dont put a stocking over your head thats just silly

use the bs recipe wich i a no scrub wag-=hing method

or if u use shampoo only scrub the scaalp not the hair

i would seriusly just go natural with such easy to dread hair

Jessica said:

I did a bunch of looking around while waiting for a reply and decided i will do the Twist and Rip :)

I looked at the videos and it seems easy enough . Better then paying 360 dollars.
My hair has created its own dread before in about a week. (Im a little grunger and tend to not comb my hair often, unless going out lol!!)

My hair knots REALLY easy, so i think ill have good luck with this method .
As to washing , Say i wash them every week with the Baking soda mixture , and one does come undone . Do i twist and rip it back into place ?
Whats the best way to prevent dreads from coming undone will washing? Wearing those silly leggings over them in the shower, right?

And calm roll to keep the stray hairs down?

Ill be in school while i get dreads, and i dont want to look super crazy. Lol.

And with this method, i heard its better for thin dreads.
I want my dreads to start off about as round as a 5 cent piece. I dream of dreads as round as 25 cent pieces.
But i have very thin, fine , arrow straight hair and am nervous that i wont have thicker dreads. I know they thicken with time. But im just nervous. I want these so bad, i want them to look perfect when im older.

--
Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts

I always assumed with all natural you washed you hair less often , maybe once , twice a week.
My hair gets very oily, VERY fast. And ill break out bad.
Id like to avoid that and have some control over where the dreads form and their size.

So i feel after looking a little more into it , the Twist and Rip method will be perfect

soaring eagle said:

why cant you go natural everyone can

im really confi=used why you say you dont have the right..skin..for natural? that makes no sense skin has nothing to do with it

you certainly can go natural and sounds like thats exactly what u want

but you can twist n rip too

absolutely do noy go to the hair police ive seen their site its 1 of the worse i ever saw dread perms re the worse method there is and they claim its the best

total ripoff

dreading is as easy as not combing or u can just use those 10 lil fingers to tangle your hair

350 for dreads ids a ripoff since dreads happen on their own for free

and again u can go natural

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If your hair naturally knots up when you don't brush it then it's become locks. All locks are are unbrushed, tangled, knotted hair. If they happen on their own, then let them happen. TnR is a good starter method. The best, actually. But if you see knots forming in a week, why not let it go a month? All you need to do is separate them and keep them from congoing with other locks.

There's nothing you should do if they come untangled. That's part of the process. Locks don't form overnight. And they won't be mature for about a year. Even then, they still change constantly. Every time you ReTnR them, they start over at day 1. Untangling is a step forward.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

With any method, natural, TnR, Back combing, there's no difference in how often you should wash. You wash however often you want. Just be sure that your hair is COMPLETELY dry between washes. when they are babies and not very tangled, you could wash every day. But it's not recommended. Every 2-3 days is fine. As your scalp gets used to the new regiment, you stop producing so much oil and your scalp adjusts. There are certain essential oils you can use for an irritated scalp though. You can use a little jojoba oil, Teatree, and rosemary oil are great. I add a little peppermint because it sooths my scalp and prevents itching

Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts

What it sounds like i want to do is Twist and Rip , as a starter, so i can have some control over where they are. And their size. And color, since im gonna dye one of two parts of my hair , so i can afew colored dreads.

And if some happen to come undone, I will leave them be, and they will dread on their own. Considering how knotty my hair gets with no help .

If i wash them once a week , will that be to little? Should i do it more?

Baba Fats said:

If your hair naturally knots up when you don't brush it then it's become locks. All locks are are unbrushed, tangled, knotted hair. If they happen on their own, then let them happen. TnR is a good starter method. The best, actually. But if you see knots forming in a week, why not let it go a month? All you need to do is separate them and keep them from congoing with other locks.

There's nothing you should do if they come untangled. That's part of the process. Locks don't form overnight. And they won't be mature for about a year. Even then, they still change constantly. Every time you ReTnR them, they start over at day 1. Untangling is a step forward.

updated by @jessica9: 07/16/15 05:37:06PM
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form