Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

good or bad idea?

paignkilla
@paignkilla
12 years ago
5 posts
i have been twisting my hair for 4yrs now and i have noticed some dreads getting thin in some areas got scared i was going bald but since have come to the realization ive been over twisting i have made a concious effort to stop and now wash and dont retwist for bout a month...sooooo any thoughts on weather or not i should just let them do what they do? because im worried how much different the neglected growth will look with the 4yrs already twisted...
updated by @paignkilla: 02/14/15 07:34:29AM
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I vote for letting them do what they do. You already know what twisting does.

Let the new healthy growth come in. Are your dreads for life? Then 4 years isn't much in the grand scheme of things really. Much better to let the rest of your dread journey be healthy and strong rather than continue harming your hair and facing the same problem over and over.

paignkilla
@paignkilla
12 years ago
5 posts
makes sense so all i do now is just keepem clean and seperated?
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Yes indeed. That's the best you could possibly do for them. Just listen to your hair. It will tell you what it needs.

Check out the dreaducation sections for more info on cleaning and keeping dreads happy. There are various different ways to keep them clean, you just have to find what works for you and your dreads.

I personally use the Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar rinses. When I feel the need I add various oils to the rinses to keep my hair and scalp healthy. My most common are tea tree and rosemary. I use coconut oil very sparingly on the odd occasion my hair gets very dried out.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

yea man im with Tied up. I twisted mine for 6 months and thank God i found this site. I've let them be since, and they've been locking way better without the twisting. Im assuming that with the twisting you used wax, since they go hand in hand. What you gotta do first before using the wash is remove the wax if you indeed used it. From that point you can start your washes. I use baking soda solution with teatree oil, jojoba oil, and jasmine rose oil for scent, i also throw a lil bit of sea salt in there. I also use the apple cider vinegar soak every 3rd baking soda wash. I also bought the dreadlockshampoo.com liquid shampoo, it smells grea, speeds up the locking, and is 100% natural and vegan. I find it convenient to bring the shampoo on trips and stuff instead of lugging all the other shit around. Hope this helps brotha. One.

paignkilla
@paignkilla
12 years ago
5 posts
only used a lil wax in the very early stage but got away from it quick didnt like how hard it was to get out so ive been using a loc gel lightly my wife hooked me up with it and its been good for me. my only issue was the thinning tht i noticed over time luckily it wasnt as extreme as some i have seen on the net but it scared me enuff tht i stopped twisting as much and now i think im just gonna go all in and cut out twisting and let them go on their own thnx for the pointers
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont retwist at all ever retwisting monthly is wayyyy too much too

they never should be retwisted at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

SE is right, any twisting is too much twisting. I know you/re saying that wax was hard to get out, but its imperative that you get it out, cuz it sho as hell aint getting out on its own. Get the wax be gone from that same site i mentioned, apply to each dread, wait 5 minutes or so and rinse out, you'll see all the brown wax shit that comes out. Id hate for you to realize you still have wax in there years down the road, so get it out now while you can. Good luck, one.

Tyler3
@borntodie
12 years ago
25 posts

Retwisting is stupid. It really just hurts your dreads and causes thinning. I've witnessed it myself. I've seen quite a few people with dreads who obviously retwist,and I could see how it was thinning at the roots, but to some it just looks "neat" and "maintained". I personally hate that scalpy look, but I would say this is an excellent idea especially if you want healthy dreads for a lifetime. Natural dreads are the best anyway,and it would look awesome if you let them become real dreads rather than retwisting them causing more damage to your scalp.

paignkilla
@paignkilla
12 years ago
5 posts
i got the wax out yrs ago thnx for the advice tho..i hav also used bs/acv a couple times as well
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form