Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Switching from BS/ACV to Shampoo.... Dandruff concerns.

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Hey all,

I'll start with my question, then bore you with all the details and disclaimers, lol.

I'm wondering if switching to a dreadlock shampoo (either bar or liquid) will worsen my dandruff.

My dreads are at about 3 months now, and are all starting to lock up pretty nicely. Granted, about half of the tips are still fairly loose, and all of the roots arereally loose, The majority of the locks have tightened and knotted up pretty dang well within about 4-5 inches around the middle (they are all probably between 8-11 inches each).

Since I started on April 18th, I have been using a BS wash with Rosemary, Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, and Lavender as well as an ACV rinse. In addition, I have been spraying salt water on them when they are about half-dried for the past 3 washes. I always use cold water for every step of the wash and rinse. I also wash every 3-4 days, as was the case before I had dreads.

Ive learned recently that switching to a dread shampoo, either a bar or a liquid, will help accelerate the remainder of the dreading, but I have one large concern... I have had pretty bad dandruff my entire life (one big reason why I have only washed my hair every 3-4 days for the past 10+ years). When I use the BS/ACV, the dandruff and the majority of the buildup I have comes loose and rinses off, but on the third day after the wash, my scalp starts becoming really itchy and i start discovering new patches of dandruff. I've tried replacing the ACV with T-Gel on occasion (not the tar gel kind, but the salicylic acid)as it is designed to remove the buildup and has the same acidity of the ACV so the pH balance of the wash remains the same.

So it comes back to this: Will my dandruff worsen if i switch to a shampoo? If it does, could i just keep using the salicylic acid shampoo as well? Im concerned in this case that it will dry out my hair since there will be no +pH base to counter-act the -pH acid...

Sorry for the whole autobiographic novel, but I think all of it directly pertains to my question.

Thanks in advance, peeps!

updated by @ryan-c: 01/13/15 09:30:46PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i use the bars if u use the teatree rosemary bar you are pretty likely to have no more dandruf at all

but if you use the bars they are already ballanced so u dont use anything else

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Thats the thing tho... Even with the Tea Tree and Rosemary in my BS wash, I still get dandruff.

And the concern about the pH balance has to do with adding the salicylic acid shampoo for the dandruff. Adding more acid will throw off the balance, so I figured i would need to add a base to balance it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont add it

only use the teatree rosemary bar

dandruf shampoos are the most toxic shampoos out there

--
Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Knowing how my scalp has responded to various shampoos and products for the last 25 years, i seriously doubt that my dandruff will suddenly go away, but ill give it a shot

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

and if u woldnt mind, please explain why they are so 'toxic'

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

because the ingredients in them are some of the most toxic ingredients in any shampoos

toxic is toxic its self explanatiory

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

What are your portions on the essential oils to your mixtures? I have been using Dr. Bronners lavender and I dilute it 1/12 with water in a squeeze bottle. I add 20 drops of lavender, rosemary and tea tree to this amount (12 oz) and I have had next to 0 dandruff issues since doing so.

I have had a pretty bad itchy scalp and dandruff issue since becoming pregnant with my son (had become a near 8 year fight for comfort at the point I started my dreads.) I also wash my hair 3 times/week.

Another thing to try, before jumping off the bandwagon of au naturale, is to just stop doing the sea salt. The salt will most assuredly dry out your hair AND your scalp which you have emphasized not wanting to do in your post.

So, drop the salt and then play with your ratios and see if that helps more before making any drastic changes. The scalp will react the same way a plant does when you transfer it to a different soil so, when the time comes that you do actually make changes, keep in mind that there is a period of adjustment before ACTUAL results occur.

GL!

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Thanks for the advice! I'd been given the suggestion t try sea salt to tighten the locks up, but have only done it 2-3 times, and have made sure to avoid contact with the scalp. I'd say my scalp health and comfort come before trying to rush the process of my hair locking up, so ill go ahead and drop the sea salt.

And which oils are the most effective at getting rid of the dandruff, and which ones are good at keeping it away?

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form