Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how to start my dreads

Isaiah Salafia
@isaiah-salafia
12 years ago
3 posts
hey all,so I'm brand new to all this. the website, dreads, everything. my hair is probably almost just about 2-3 inches long. hair to tell since I'm of mixed ethnicity, and I have very curly, nappy hair.so, in short, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: how do I prepare my hair for dreadlocks? and should I go for sectioned/backcombed/waxed dreads, or natural/neglect dreads? how long should my hair be for these, and how long will they probably take to get?thanks in advance!
updated by @isaiah-salafia: 01/13/15 09:30:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax no wax no wax under no circumstances should you ever let wax near your dreads i wouldnt even hug someone who had used wax 210 years ago unless was sure they did all they could to get the wax out (not to offend any innocent wax victims just would treat it like lice .something i dont want in direct contact with my dreads)

natural is by far the best way to go

tho 2-3 inches is kinda short if your hairs pretty nappy it probly wull dread hat short

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isaiah Salafia
@isaiah-salafia
12 years ago
3 posts
haha thank you very much. and say I simply allow my hair to keep growing out...what else should I do to promote dreading, and at what point/length will i probably actually begin to notice progress? sorry to be a pain.

soaring eagle said:

no wax no wax no wax under no circumstances should you ever let wax near your dreads i wouldnt even hug someone who had used wax 210 years ago unless was sure they did all they could to get the wax out (not to offend any innocent wax victims just would treat it like lice .something i dont want in direct contact with my dreads)

tho 2-3 inches is kinda short if your hairs pretty nappy it probly wull dread hat short

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

depends on your hair a lil bit

typicaly 6 inches for straighter hair nappy haor can dread at 1-2 even depends on the hair tho

sea alt sprays help it dread faster biotin helps it grow faster

if your hairs more african then u might want to not use sea salt if ots already prone to be dry

Isaiah Salafia said:

haha thank you very much. and say I simply allow my hair to keep growing out...what else should I do to promote dreading, and at what point/length will i probably actually begin to notice progress? sorry to be a pain.

soaring eagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kare T
@kare-t
12 years ago
83 posts

Do not towel dry, after your showers.

wash with some dr bronners liquid soap on your roots gently

and dance.

Isaiah Salafia
@isaiah-salafia
12 years ago
3 posts
thanks!! appreciate all the help i can get

Kare T said:

Do not towel dry, after your showers.

wash with some dr bronners liquid soap on your roots gently

and dance.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

For a different shampoo optrion, go to dreadlockshampoo.com, and pick up the liquid lockin up shampoo, they help your hair lock, and already have all the stuff you need in it, and are 100% natual and vegan. I've personally never used Dr Bronners liquid soap, but i've spoken to a few folks and read here, that some of them have had issues with build up and residue, which i've never heard with the dreadlockshampoo site. Just another idea, maybe you can get both and see what works, good lock brotha, and awesome name btw, its the name i chose for my son. One.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

And fyi, i started my dreads very short, about 3 inches, unfortunately i used wax, but you have the chance to start off the right way, with the neglect method, im also mulatto, so my hair is nappy/curly. Your hair will dread, just have patience. I went from an afro, to what you see now, and its been only 8 months.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form