Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twist and rip vs Neglect

Joe
@joe
15 years ago
5 posts
Hello all. Hope your having a good day/evening/night.I started dreading my hair today using the twist (and rip(?) technique with some sketchy results.This is after doing a lot of research and hoping to get them done in the past week just to have the 'loctician' not return my call, this is after a freind changed her mind about doing them for me.I've not been attracted by the idea of wax. They were going to get started using the Crocheting technique but after reading an article on this site decided I'd try the twist n' rip method.A lot of people seem to spend time worrying about them coming undone but I can't see that happening here. They just seem to stay in a state of 'kind of dreaded, but quite loose'.Point is, a part of me is now wishing I'd left them and gone with the 'neglect' technique. Will the dreads I've done so far come undone..? Should I leave the rest of the hair? Can I go for the neglect techique or shall I just go for it and try and do the rest of my hair as well....?Any thoughts and advice will gratefully received,Many thanks,Joe
updated by @joe: 01/13/15 08:29:00PM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
well im my opinion, if you wish you had gone neglect, just leave em alone now,twist an rip isn't exactly a damaging high maintenance method, they will definitely start to come apart, how much really depends on many variables but when you say the rest of your hair, how much has been left alone?I'd probably let it, unless theres like big sections of hair left alone then I would T&R that to probably,hope its going good tho man
Joe
@joe
15 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for the reply friend.Basically, the front of may hair to about the start of my ears has been dreaded, the rest is loose.Most of my hair resides at the back so that doesn't mean half of my hair is dreaded...but thats how it looks.I think I'm gonna leave it. From what I can tell/have read/heard/seen hair that is dreaded using the natural(/neglect) method looks a bit dodgey untill it's started knotting up reasonably tight anyway so yeah, my hair looks stupid but after a year or so, once the rest of the hair's started to dread and the drads I've made have tightened up at the roots, it'll start to look alright....I hope.Once again, cheers the for the reply.How long have you had your dreads for? Iain said:
well im my opinion, if you wish you had gone neglect, just leave em alone now,
twist an rip isn't exactly a damaging high maintenance method, they will definitely start to come apart, how much really depends on many variables but when you say the rest of your hair, how much has been left alone?

I'd probably let it, unless theres like big sections of hair left alone then I would T&R that to probably,

hope its going good tho man
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
mine are 19 years neglect..they dreaded fast tho...just seperate often and see how it goes...if too slow t&r if u wanna

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
I used the twist and rip method myself, and it's enough like neglect that all you really have to do is keep them clean and stop worrying. I chose the twist and rip method over neglect because I do have a 9-5 (that's pm to am xP) job that requires that my hair have some semblance of neatness. So for a while people were very confused whether my hair was just braided or what exactly was going on. That, and I wanted to have some say as to exactly where and how my dreads formed. So I washed it with an anti-residue shampoo, and then watched as my hair clumped together when it was wet, then twisted and ripped based on those natural guidelines. It's working out well so far!
Denea
@denea
15 years ago
3 posts
I used a combo of backcomb and twist and rip ~I used tiny black 'no stick' rubber bands at the base of my dreads for the first month or two of any dreads life. I then took my tips between my fingers of one hand and and rubbed them in a circular motion on the palm of my other hand this creates quite a bit of heat and knots the hair up really well for a couple weeks, for me it held me over until I washed for the first time....Gosh I think I waited about 6 weeks before I washed them at first and they really tightened up to about half the diameter after I did. At first I was really sad but I couldnt love my dreadies more
Joe
@joe
15 years ago
5 posts
Cheers for sharing your thoughts guys.I've been washing every two to three days but just with water. I'm gonna order some essentiel oils and make up one of SE's recipes.I think the main thing that worried me was that the dreads I've done using the twist and rip method are really loose near the roots but I reckon they'll tighten up in time.Well, I'll be wearing lot of hats untill they do start to look a little neater:D.Thanks for all your help peeps.I'll post some photo's at some point.
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
washing your dreads with natural soap (like Dr. Bronners) and hot water will lock them faster.. just keep your hair messed up.. do the washing your hair motion on your undreaded hair and keep it tangled.. I would just leave it alone and keep your little knots separated.. it will happen faster than you think. just stop thinking about and worrying about your hair.. that's the whole point!! :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form