dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombing for a different reason

xideges
@xideges
12 years ago
7 posts

Hello Everyone!

I really wanted dreads for a long time, but i've been always bullied because when my hair is long it kinda gets in a girly microphone curly hairstyle shape. But now decided im going to have dreads i'm old enough and finally meet some new real friends who are really supportive and not a**holes! :)

First i tried the T&R method spent 3 hours to get one.. wich 2 hours later unraveled, asked my sister (who did t&r few times) but same thing happened it fallen apart.. then i found this site, i really like the natural looking dreads, but my long hair still looked like a girl hair wich really made me uncomfortable. So i went with backcombing even tho my hair is still short 10-12cm (rather see them grow with me, then wait and dread them), now 3 days later i still have few spiky ones pointing up in the front, the ones at the end already layed down and seperated nicely all of them has loose ends except one wich i rounded it but that just felt unnatural really like the craziness in my hair right now and the look on my neighbours facewhen they see me :D

My question is it okay what i did? backcombed once, now i have a normal looking hair (not really dread look, already explained like 9953.42 times to my friends and family its gonna take a while before i get real dreads, my dad still dont belives it...) now i go natural leaving them do their own thing, washing often. no wax or any other products were used and combed it gently not maniac style it never hurt.

Another question, we have tons of 40-50+ years old homemade soap, is that good for washing my hair? no chemicals were used. I'm using it for bathing, leaves no smell.

And my last question, i have many friends with dreadlocks (all of them went neglect) and after seeing them dreads for a long time form, grow etc, noticed something those who are very strict,precise their dreads looks like a proffesional did it, the lazy ones had "lazy" fuzzy looking dreads etc.. all of them said they do nothing with them, why's that?

Also sorry for my english :)

updated by @xideges: 01/13/15 09:30:09PM
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Your method is fine. I think it's a shame you are worried about looking like a girl though. What's so wrong with girls that you can't handle looking like one? :P

Don't know about the soap. Do you know what is in it?

What do you mean by strict and precise? The sections (at the root) are precise and uniform or are the actual dreadlocks just smoother?

A few possibilities there. They are lying about not going to a salon and they actually used a starter method (if their sections are very precise this is very likely). Or they forced those sections as their hair knotted up...which I can't imagine is easy and seems illogical for someone going neglect.

If it's just their dreads though it could be their hair type or the age of their dreads.

Very nappy hair often looks more uniform faster than straight hair. Straight hair looks a lot wilder because it is slippier and can fly away and be generally crazy. But once our hair is locked up new growth will grow out in a much smoother manner. You can see this in pictures posted on here where people have really long, cylindrical locks with funky paddles/medallions/zigzags/whatnot hanging off the end. The funky bits on the end are from the initial locking process and the ropes are new growth. Your friends may have cut their crazy bits off for aesthetic reasons and that could be why they look more "professional".

xideges
@xideges
12 years ago
7 posts

the soap is made out of pig fat and herb oil, good old traditional soap :P

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form