Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Opinions - proffesionals?

Kvetka
@kvetka
12 years ago
7 posts

I was at work the other day and my boss told me I should undo my self-sectioned dreads and get them done professionally and "properly"...

I thought my dreads were fine on their own. I've already undone and split some sections that turned out too big, or too wide for the dread to form up properly. I have 44ish dreads, all sections according to where my hair WANTED to go. Like i said, some were wrong, which I have fixed. They're all differnt sizes and shapes, and I was very proud of them. Now I am feeling really insecure that my dreads are wrong because they arent all regimental!

Am i right to feel pretty offended, or should I really have got them done proffesionally? :/

updated by @kvetka: 02/14/15 08:46:40AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Naw, your boss probably doesn't know ANYTHING about proper dreadlocks (only the misconceptions.)
If you go to a stylist they will most definitely use wax on your hair. They will either interlock your roots which causes holes and weakened locks and they will more than likely do backcombing (you already did TnR which doesn't cause the breakage that backcombing does.)

Dreadlocks weren't meant to be uniform and slimy. They were meant to be organic and healthy.

When you are feeling blue about your progress then just check out the timelines and success of people in this community so you know that the waiting and the mess are all worth it. If your boss wants them to be more tame then apply small amounts of aloe vera occasionally (not all the time though) to tame the frizzies.

Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts

Welcome to the world of dipshits who think they know everything about dreads :) I used to hear crazy stuff about my hair not dreading "right"....whatever the hell that means lol. Try not to be offended-- just smile and not always worked for me.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

explain to your boiss that getting them done professionaly is the worse thing you can do, that they use the most harmful methods there are also search the site for "letter to employer" (use the google search) theres 12 1 is concerning real dreads edoit that 1 and show it to him

1st he has no legal right to tell u to get them done profesionally

but hes probly just not aware that they are harmful

and explain o him that "properly" means neglect.. that salons are not proper to dread properly means to just let it happen

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ask him if he hires a professional evertytime he has to wipe his ass

then expla=in that dreading the 'proper" way mdans to stop combing and let nature take its course then say that the fact that u started your dreads using twist and rip rather then freeform was out of respect to him and his business but thats as far as your wu[]illing to go and further then you had to go legaly

and that from here on your dread will remain natural as can be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Also tell him that most salons tell you not to wash your hair and your way is not as stinky ;)

KnotLady
@knotlady
12 years ago
300 posts

LOL

Valrie said:

Also tell him that most salons tell you not to wash your hair and your way is not as stinky ;)

kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

Since I've started my dread journey I've had a complete stranger tell me I need to put wax in my hair. I also had a friend of a friend tell me I should crochet.

I just smile and say nothing...I love my messy head and think I will miss it when things get a bit tamer.

You know in your heart that you are doing things the right way and will have beautiful, unique dreads one day! :)

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Three important questions: 1, How long are ur dreads? 2, How old are they? And 3, What ind of job do u have?

I don't think your boss really would care about how different methods of dreads would effect the health of your hair. He most likely just wants you to look professional, and doesnt understand that the best-looking dreads take a long, long time, and there is a lengthy awkward period.

He most likely is requesting that you go to a salon and get themcrocheted, not knowing what the difference is.

Ask him if it would be acceptable (if ur dreads are long enough) to use a wrap or a cloth to keep them wrapped up and behind your head. Thats a common solution in a professional workplace for dreadlocks.

Good lock! I mean luck! :-P

Kvetka
@kvetka
12 years ago
7 posts

I work in a cafe, so I have them wrapped up - despite my boss being female, these responses did make me grin again.

I've found having my dreads done up so much when they are - as i affectionately call them - babies - makes them grown in that direction, and they refuse to lie flat. I ended up re doing quite a few simply because they were ridiculously huge at the base and pulled themselves apart. However, now they've settled down a little they look way better! :) Thanks fo rthe advice about it - I love my crazy dreadies :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form