Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New in dreadlocks and ive already read many topics, im confused so i need help.

asce pabalan
@asce-pabalan
12 years ago
2 posts

Hi to all. 1st of all im new here in the site but ive already read many post and im confused where to start and what shout i do and what i need. This is my first time to have dreadlocks. I have a natural semi long and curly hair. I want to start today.

Here are some of my question and i hope someone could help me ( i want a natural thin locs). thnx

1. What should i do curly hair neglect or TnR?

2. What do i need when im just starting up my locs (just no wash or should i was it with something or just dont do nothing with my hair)?

3. What should i do to my hair? just dont wash it or what should i do?

4. How to condition and shampoo? how many in a week? (also the cleasing using baking soda)

5. What to use on conditioning and shampoo?

thanks for all who will comment and give me suggestion.

sorry for so many questions.

updated by @asce-pabalan: 01/13/15 09:29:53PM
Elle Gee
@elle-gee
12 years ago
14 posts

I have exactly the same hair. It's wavy/curly and super frizzy. I started mine about three weeks ago. I sectioned them off and used the twist and rip method. Then left them to do what they wanted. They didn't what to go in the direction I thought they should.

I highly suggest not brushing your hair for a few to several days while washing with a good, natural, non-residue shampoo (I got my Naked Dreadlock Shampoo Bar at Dreadlock Shampoo ). My hair would have taken so much longer to begin sectioning together how it wants to if I hadn't had super clean hair. It's only $10 and there's a bunch of different liquid and bars and a non-residue locking gel.

Wash every two to three days. Just not every day. When you shampoo, pay special attention to the places you know get more oily than other places. If your hair is greasy it's going to take sooooo much longer for the knots to hold when they get wet. I also use a sea salt and water spray and do a baking SODA and apple cider vinegar rinse once a week. Also, make sure that you get into the areas of the hair between each dread on each side. Rinse with cool, then blast with cold for a second.

All the info I know I got from wandering around here. Check out the links in the top right hand side drop down list. Just read up! Wait, too! It takes time! Mine aren't even really good looking yet, but I love them so much. It's so much easier and it's another outlet in which I can express myself in. Hope I could help a bit! Have fun in your dread journey!

Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

Lol, everything that Elle Gee said... it doesn't get much more comprehensive than that.

asce pabalan
@asce-pabalan
12 years ago
2 posts

thanks for the reply. this give me an idea.

how about the conditioning? what should i do and what do i need?

for the salt spray, what do i need to make for that spray? like the oils?

what ingredient you use for your baking soda?

what other shampoo could you recommend? they dont sell dread shampoo here in the philippines.

Jamison Johnston
@jamison-johnston
12 years ago
16 posts
No conditioner, it will make your hair too slippery and itwon't knot up. As for the shampoo, you order it with a credit card, and it comes in the mail.
Elle Gee
@elle-gee
12 years ago
14 posts

Why, thank you!!!

DemeterGray said:

Lol, everything that Elle Gee said... it doesn't get much more comprehensive than that.

Elle Gee
@elle-gee
12 years ago
14 posts

I did forget this, though... NO CONDITIONER! Good call

Jamison Johnston said:

No conditioner, it will make your hair too slippery and itwon't knot up. As for the shampoo, you order it with a credit card, and it comes in the mail.
Elle Gee
@elle-gee
12 years ago
14 posts

I use a super simple salt spray. You obviously need a spray bottle; mine holds about a cup of liquid. I zap almost a cup of bottled water (the thought of letting the tap water here soak in my dreads is just gross) in the microwave for a couple minutes. I put probably 3-4 tablespoons of sea salt (not table salt, not epsom salt: Sea Salt!) in the hot water and let the sea salt dissolve fully. I used a wooden spoon to stir every once and a while. When there are no particles left in the water, put it in your spray bottle (a funnel really helps with this) and shake it again. I usually shake mine up before each use.

I used to spray it on my dreads a few times a day, but it made my hair really dry, so I cut it back to once every day or two. Much better. I* use it in a few ways. I always spray some on after I get out of the shower. During maintenence, I mist on just enough at one time for it to stay damp until I pull each dread apart and palm roll it for few seconds. I do that to each dread in an area then I move on to the next. I also use it just randomly some times when I realize I haven't touched my hair in a day or two.

As for the shampoo, again, the best answer I can give you is a link to a forum post : http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/starting-dreads-nonresidue

The exact measurements I use are like, a cup of baking soda to one gallon water. I mix it up well, close my eyes, pour it all over my dreads and let it sit for like 15-20 mins. Rinse well with cool water. Put a couple capfulls of Apple Cider Vinegar in a gallon of water and repeat. Only leave this on for 2-5 minutes, though.

asce pabalan said:

thanks for the reply. this give me an idea.

how about the conditioning? what should i do and what do i need?

for the salt spray, what do i need to make for that spray? like the oils?

what ingredient you use for your baking soda?

what other shampoo could you recommend? they dont sell dread shampoo here in the philippines.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form