Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread splitting from root?

Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

I don't have a photo for the moment because she is visiting family for a few days.My girlfriends dreadlocks are only about 3 months old.Her hair is coming along very well.But she has a few dreads in the back where the first 8 centimeters are not dreaded.The problem we are concerned with is that the undreaded hair looks like it is becoming two sections,not that is is undreaded...What can be done to encourage that split to not continue?? Should we slide a bead over that area for a little while and adjust the bead to make other knots later?

I really appreciate any responses I can get.I will try to get a picture posted when I can if it helps at all.

updated by @alexander-uma: 02/14/15 11:15:01AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

how bigs the section?

this is usualy caused by forced sectioning when you decide you want the hair all in 1 inch blocks but if u went natural they would have ben 2 dreads they are trying tio follow the natural sectining

u can wrap the area a few weeks or leave ]it be it will have to self corect eventualy as the dreads mature and roots tighten worse case u may have a hole there that u can hang bells or trinkets from but much more likely it will self corect as the roots tighten

how did she dread?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

Her dreads are different sizes.Not a wide range of sizes,but from 2-3.5 centimeters.The "split" isn't two matured parts,so I was thinking it would just resolve itself without worry.

Her hair was just back combed in the areas she thought she needed and other than that,she just washes them.No wax,gel,ect.She is in the few photos I have.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

ok im no good at metric but i think 3.5 is about an inch or so so thats a reaonable range

--
Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

Is there any benefit to using yarn over average string? Or what I guess I am trying to ask is if there is a better material to wrap it with for a few weeks? I've wrapped a couple of mine before just for the colors,but never noticed much progress after unwrapping it.I figured it was due to using such a thin thread.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

It sounds like 1 of 2 things:

1) This would naturally be 2 sections if the hair had not been backcombed.

2) If she twisted while backcombing this could just be the hair untwisting (think of this in terms of a pair of twisted coils. When you twist them together they hug each other pretty tightly but if you pinch both ends and move to untwist them (or push the end towards the top - which is what is kind of happening with the knotting going on in dreads- hence the shrinkage, they split apart.)

Either way, you can just let it alone and it will start to dread together. If they start to dread independently I suppose you can try to force them together or split them?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

yarn will leave yarn fibers in your dreads nit a good idea ebmbroidery thread or hemp is best

Alexander Suma said:

Is there any benefit to using yarn over average string? Or what I guess I am trying to ask is if there is a better material to wrap it with for a few weeks? I've wrapped a couple of mine before just for the colors,but never noticed much progress after unwrapping it.I figured it was due to using such a thin thread.

--
Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

As far as the comments about back combing go,it is too late.She has them and I don't think she will comb them out..She doesn't twist.I'll just have to tell her to wait it out :D

Valrie said:

It sounds like 1 of 2 things:

1) This would naturally be 2 sections if the hair had not been backcombed.

2) If she twisted while backcombing this could just be the hair untwisting (think of this in terms of a pair of twisted coils. When you twist them together they hug each other pretty tightly but if you pinch both ends and move to untwist them (or push the end towards the top - which is what is kind of happening with the knotting going on in dreads- hence the shrinkage, they split apart.)

Either way, you can just let it alone and it will start to dread together. If they start to dread independently I suppose you can try to force them together or split them?

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I have had a couple of mine do what you are describing here. What I ended up doing is popping a bead on them and pulling the longer piece of the loop do that it's a bump under the bead. Then after a couple of days it starts to dread up and I can tug the bead off.

As far as wrapping materials, I would go with cotton thread or you can get colorful hemp from a craft store. Wool yarns can shrink up and felt when wet possibly making it harder to remove or causing the dread to get even thinner than you would be okay with.

Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

Thanks yet again SE.I'll keep it in mind.

soaring eagle said:

yarn will leave yarn fibers in your dreads nit a good idea ebmbroidery thread or hemp is best

Alexander Suma said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form