Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Stopping By To say HI..

Theresa
@theresa
12 years ago
4 posts

New to this site and new to dreadlocks. I've started mine about a week ago. Well no hair brushing for a week. My hair is so coarse, and frizzy, and already on its way to being dreads.

I've very new at this and any advice would be great. Oh when I should start seperating? I'm not looking for large congo dreads I would really like small ones so I've keeping it seperate in the size I want now.

Also dread cuffs? Does it help make dreads a little more or just more for decoration? Does it help keep my hair seperated? when would be a good time to put them on. I will add a few pictures of my frizzy, wild, and crazy hair as of now!

Week 1

front, and back of head picture (sorry had to take a picture of the back of your head.) haha

updated by @theresa: 02/14/15 11:38:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

very good progress for a week!

u can seperate as needed use your instincts

cuffs or beads help yea but can get stuck permenantly if the dread thickens above and below too much

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Cuffs are usually moreornamental, and look really pretty. I've never used them. But they should work the same as beads. Knots form really fast around them, but you should move them up and down once in a while to make sure they move freely so they don't get sucked in and stuck there.

Separate as you feel you need, but not too often. too often can slow down the progress a bit. some people do find that they need to separate every day, but usually twice a week is normal. And try not to separate in front of a mirror. That will make you more anal about little hairs, and you might end up pulling a lock or 2 apart instead of just separating them.

They are looking very good in just 1 week. You'll have great looking locks in no time

Theresa
@theresa
12 years ago
4 posts

My hair has just been that hair you can't do nothing with no matter what. No matter what I put in it its always been frizzy. I think locks will be the best thing for it. I love the hair style and have been wanting to do it for years. So I finally decided to do go for it. I normal only wash my hair once or twice a week as it is because its so dry. I think I will pass on the cuffs right now because its a frizzy mess at this point. I will have to wait till it locks up more then what it is.

My main concern is.. I have grey hair. At 32yrs old grey hair runs in my family at an early age. What can I do about this? is coloring my hair out of the question? do I just forget about it and let it come out?

I do seperate because my main fear is all of it locking together. once a day usually. I need to learn to stop messing with it.. That is going to be the hardest part for me. Once I get better pictures I will add them.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You can colour it, no problem. Many use Henna or other natural products. If you wash with BS at all, BS strips colours pretty easily, though. SO be aware of that.

And I love the way you are coming into growing locks. Not wanting to have to maintain your hair will help you along the way not get annoyed with it and feel like you have to use wax or crochet. You've made a big step realizing locks should be easy. Congrats.

Theresa
@theresa
12 years ago
4 posts

I will have to look in the natural produts. How hard would it be to color it? just as I normaly would? Mostly just have to do touch up on the roots thats about it.

Many years ago I looked into doing dreads, and I thought about the whole back combing and waxing.. but that is not my thing. I am very tender headed and that back combing looks horrible, and I would cry threw the whole thing. plus it also seems like more work then I wanted to put into my hair. Sitting in a chair for hour and hours? Not my thing. I don't like to spend a lot of time on my hair. I'm wash it and forget it type of person!

next week I will post another picture of progress..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i know i hear ppl backcomb for 17 painful hours ..i dont get it when u can just let it dread

but if u dye only dye the outside dont try to get it to soak in and rince like u never rinsed b4 afterwards cause it will be hard to gert excess out

--
Theresa
@theresa
12 years ago
4 posts

There is no way I would backcomb for 17hrs. No way could I ever actually sit threw the pain..

and thanks Eagle I will take that advice. I should of colored it before I started.

Do you have any recomedations on what to color it with?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

henna is the healthiest alternative

--
Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts

I honestly LOVE grey hair! I will have to see if I have pics of my buddy's dreads that a gorgeous and unique grey color. He's also in his 30's (but closer to 40) and I think that younger grey hair is so special because it still has a youthful texture. I would totally rock that grey hair girl!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form