Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreading Mercies - For New Dreadies: ONLY BS/ACV rinse /metal jump rings/wool placemat

PeacewithDreads
@peacewithdreads
12 years ago
14 posts

I hit my five month anniversary on the 6/1/2012.I discovered some little known facts during the process. I do not know if it is true for everyone, but I know this to be true for me:

1. The natural method cannot be rushed.
  2. Different strokes for different "hair". We do not all have the same hair, ergo, our dreading methods that work for some may not work for others.
  3. Patience and perseverence is easier said than done. I'd like to say I have done the persevering, but truth be told, it is a daily process. I liken it to a 12 step program: take ONE DAY AT A TIME!
  4. During the maturation process, the dread has a cycle. Just like normal hair, you will have good days and bad days. Some days, I am excited as all get out because my hair has definite dreading tendencies, but then five days later, those same dreads will have soft sections, no knots, no twists, just separation. Trust, is what is needed on those days.

I have THIN< FINE< STRAIGHT hair. Here is what I have found works :

1. TNR, don't bother .Go ahead, but realize its a waste of time. It looked great at the start, but after about 7 days, the TNR fell out and I was left with fine, thin, straighthair...only now with fuzz. I tried it three or four times, and it was always the same thing. For ME, it took every bit of four months to get a solid locked knot. Then in the middle of my 4th month, the took off...BUT THAT'S BECAUSES I SWITCHED BACK TO -------->BS/ACV rinse.
  2. Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar regiment .It is best for newbies. I started with it, but then I bought the www.dreadlockshampoo.com dread shampoo and locking gel. When I first used it, I was thrilled because I had big time snarls after washing with it. However, those beautiful snarls did not stay, by the time my hair dried, they fell out. The gel was wonderful, but I noticed that when I applied it to my dreads, it moisturized my hair, and the clump/strand would end up fine and smoothe again. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the product, and will go back to it, butfor me,I am going to wait until my dreads have matured before I use the product again. Everytime I think it's safe to use it, and I havea solid start, I decide to use the product, just one day, because I am rushed, or something...and every time, it reverses the process. I think its because of the oils they have in it. For my hairtype, because I have to wash every other day, the gentle rinse works best.Try not to do the rinse in the evening and then sleep on it wet, that smooths out the dreads too. I do it first thing in the morning and then let it natural dry.
  3. Sea salt/water mixture in a spray bottle and Between washings, use a light mist your hair. That helped secure up the separation. I think becaue my ratio of salt to water is so small, I did not rinse out until I did my rinse the next morning and have not noticed any adverse damage..
  4. I have a WOOL PLACEMAT and I putit on my pillow and place my head on itevery night, I got that recommendation from Heather I think? Not the placemat, but Icould not find a sweater and I came across the placemat one day, and it's been perfect.
  5. Go to a craft store and buy some thin metal jump rings in assorted sizes . Very thin, they have a cut in it that when you make jewelry you pinch together to and on the separations, whatever the size, when wet, I added these thin metal jump rings. Make sure they are tight on the strand, because they will just fall off otherwise. I tried beads, and thicker metalbeads, butI noticed that they would fall off because my dreads would change inshape and size (at least right now). I'd be at thestore, and then all the sudden a couple beads would fly offas I turned my head or something. Kind of embarassassing. However, the jump rings work becausethat little cut in the middle seems to latchonto the hair a little bit.The hair will start dreading up around that ring, and you can just leave it because as the dread grows, if it gets too tight,you can use a small jewelry pliers to expand it right off the strand.

I am coming up on my 6th month, and today, I have some wimpy dreads, they have seemed to thin out a bit, BUT confession, I used my Patchtouli dreadshampoo yesterday because I thought I had such good progress that it would be safe, but it was not a good decision. I will NOT be tempted again, and we will see how we are at 7 months. I am including a picture of the beginning through now. Bon chance, dreadies. Peacewithdreads.

This picture is from 1 week, 3 months, 4 months, and 5 months

This is me today, 5 months, 12 days.

updated by @peacewithdreads: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they look like they are doing fine i wouldnt say they are all that slow ..maybe a lil beghind where u might expect an average dread to be at 6 months..hby a handsfull of weeks

the soaps do u got the liquid or bar?

if bar the liquid might work better for ya for a few more months

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
They are looking so dready for only five months! Kudos!
Pixy
@pixy
12 years ago
3 posts

happy late anniversary!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form