Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Keeping hair out of your way :)

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

Howdy everyone. My hair is still in the dreading process. I have a few tangles and less than 10 dreads/baby dreads I'd say. But most of it is non-dreaded. I have a habit of pulling my hair back in the summer time and I know I need to leave it alone. What is your favorite or most efficient [even if it's not your fave lol] way of keeping your hair out of your face or off your neck?

Also, what would you do if you were in the process like me and had an interview? I desperately need to switch jobs, am considering applying for a house supervisor position [supported living], but I want them to know I am serious if I get an interview. I know people with dreads are serious, but there are stereotypes to consider, kwim? T.I.A.!! :) <3 ~Sara

updated by @heathen-hippie-o: 01/13/15 09:28:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

are your dreads long enough to tie back your dreads with your dreads?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

Tie them back with my hair you mean? Yeah. But I thought tying your hair back was not a good idea when you were letting it dread?

soaring eagle said:

are your dreads long enough to tie back your dreads with your dreads?

Tak Umi
@tak-umi
12 years ago
1 posts

ive wondered this too. my hair isnt really dreaded... sorta tnr falling apart looking. least at the front.. pretty much straight hair. i use a bandana, folded in to a headband then just tie around my neck and drag hair upward so... just curious if this would affect new dreads. like ripping them apart or anything?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Tying them back long term can slow the process down a bit, but it's not "bad".

You could gab a lock on each side of your head and cross them under your hair behind your neck and then tie them together back on top. I do this all the time. And you can keep grabbing 2 different locks until they are hanging off of your neck. It really only works if your hair is long enough. I've also seen people just grab 1 lock and wrap it around the rest a few times. This is the most gentle way of keeping them out of the way without wearing a hat or bandanna. But it requires even longer hair than the ones I said first.

You could get a nice wide crochet'd tam. This will keep them up and out of the way while still letting them get air and not overheat

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

I might try another tam. Unfortunately I am only getting dreads at the back of my head, I don't have any in the front or on the sides yet. I have a few underneath at the back and 3 on top at the back all around each other lol. Folding a bandana into a band might work, too! We'll see. Thanks yall :)

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I tie my hair up when I hike using a stretchy fabric headband. I don't think I tie it back enough to actually hinder my dreading process plus, when I hike I just have to or my hair gets caught in the overgrowth more.

Also, if you find a lightweight scarf or bandana you can make a headband with it as well to keep it off of your face.

As far as tying mine back with the dreads... I can do it but it never stays long enough.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form