Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need Someone To Help Start Dreads!

Emily Cole
@emily-cole
12 years ago
3 posts

Hey, I live in Michigan. I don't have dreads yet, but I'm DYING to get them. I need someone to help me get them started, give me some tips, techniques, etc. I'll pay you for your time and services, it would mean SO much to me!! (:

updated by @emily-cole: 01/13/15 09:27:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you actually do not need help only advice

the simplest and best way to dread

stop combing stop conditioning this is the natural method and is the best way (easiest too ..just wait \and dreads happen) this can happen much faster then you expect only in rare cases does it tale a long time

you can also do twist n rip and do it yourself easily

maybe have a freind help with the back

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

With the twist and rip method, just be careful of the size of the sections you make. As you start it will seem like the lock will be thinner than the sections of hair you chose. But if time as they grow out, the lock will take on a closer size to the section. So pick something between the width of a nickle to a quarter. Any bigger and you can run into some trouble with dryer and washing

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Everything you need to know is in the dreaducation pages (methods, cleaning, maintenance advice, etc.) Take a look there and see what sounds like the best option for you and it will also help to educate you on the things that are really bad for your hair. If there is something that doesn't make sense, feel free to ask. Everyone here is very helpful and encouraging. :)

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

What they said. You don't need anyone to help you. You can let your hair do its thing by just not brushing it and continue to wash your hair. That's all it needs, and it's definitely the cheapest and easiest way. But you can also twist and rip into sections, or backcomb, so you can give it a bit of a head-start and define the sections yourself. As for tips, I'd just say, use a good dreadlock shampoo (or baking soda/apple cider vinegar) to wash with, and don't look at your hair often, don't fixate on it and just let it do what it does best, which is dread.

Emily Cole
@emily-cole
12 years ago
3 posts

thank you all so much for your help and input. i'm excited to start (:

Nick Knox
@nick-knox
12 years ago
4 posts

Hey Emily . I have just started my dreading processs about 2 and a half weeks ago.

I have been amazed at how muchprogress has been made so far. I dono if washing for a couple months first with Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar rinse has maybe helped or not. But I would recemend trying it this way.

I'm usually the type to want things here an now, this second, or else I dont want it. But not with this, its a remarkable process to watch how thehair sections and shapes itself.

To eatch their own. I jus know at first I was planning on twisting and ripping, but now I couldn't be happier. I wouldnt want to do it any other way.

Emily Cole
@emily-cole
12 years ago
3 posts

ahh, i love your comment. that's exactly how i am. i've decided i'm just going to let my hair be free to decide how it wants to dread. so simple. (:

thank you everyone for your comments. <3

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When you let it do what it wants, you gets locks of all shapes and sizes, too. It fills in all the gaps and makes them look more organic too

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form