Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Salt Water and Loops

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

i started my dreads a few months ago, i was at the beach all weekend i had my hair in the ocean to get the salt water into it.

how long should i wait to wash my hair after being in salt water?

i also have a bunch of loops in my hair, everyone on here basically tells me to jut let my hair do what it wants and it eventually look great. should i just let the loops happen? i will post a picture after i get out of class. thanks so much.

updated by @melissa3: 01/13/15 09:27:10PM
Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

pictures

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Salt water is great for locks, but you really don't want to let it sit there for more than a couple of hours. Even sea water. If you let the salt sit on your scalp, you will get really itchy as the salt dries out you hair and your skin. If you haven't washed them yet, do it now. Even if you are just using a sea salt spray, you never want to leave it on for more than 2 hours.

And leave the loops where they are. Loops mean that your hair is tangling and knotting up. They are a good sing. if yo do anything to hinder them, you are only hindering the locking process

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

You shouldn't wait too long to wash your hair, if you leave it in for too long, it'll just get really dry. I've seen people recommend leaving it about an hour or so before you wash your hair afterwards.

As for the loops, definitely let them happen. Loops are a very normal and very welcome part of dreading. They give the dreads some character and it's exciting to see them transform. Plus, it's proof that you're on your way :)

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I agree with everything Tara has already said. Salt will over dry your hair and your skin
and a shower should be well on the way an hour or so after the ocean.

Loops are fun and interesting and I know that, from my own experience, are always changing at a steady pace. At first they were somewhat of a nuisance but now I can't help but love them and their interesting developments. :)

And honestly, they are going to happen whether you want them too or not... if you try to pull them back into the dread you will just find yourself caught in a meaningless effort because they will all pop back out and form newbies.

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

thanks for all the replys this forum has truly helped me the past 4 months. :) ill keep updating with photos.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form