Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

As if loctician salons weren't expensive enough, WAX does more damage than you think!!!

Emma Dawn
@emma-dawn
12 years ago
8 posts

The cost of salon dreads is ridiculous and the damage the wax does to your hair and skin is even worse. Ive had my dreads since September of 2009 and have spent more than $3,000 at the salon alone. My stylist charged me $250 to start my dreads and $150-$180 every two weeks for maintenance. I have just recently found out how much damage it has done to my dreads thanks to soaring eagle. I am now in the process of trying to get all the horrible wax out of my hair and saving my dreads. After doing only one vinegar soak and washing with dawn soap I noticed my skin was clearer than it has ever been. About the same time I started my dreads my face, chest, and back became very broke out. I went to the dermatologist and was diagnosed with cystic acne. Since then I have been to the hospital numerous times because of infections under the skin on my face. Each time surgery was done to remove the infection. I have now realized the wax from my hair was clogging my pores and turning into cysts. Even though the cysts were cut open and packed they came back every time. I was also put on antibiotics every time but it never seemed to help. The last time I went and got one cut out was about 3 weeks ago and I was told I must have surgery on my face to have them removed completely. But now my skin is clearing up very fast and the cysts that grew larger and larger are shrinking. I feel so stupid because I should have known the wax was not only destroying my hair but also my skin. I have scars from the surgeries as well as the terrible acne. These medical problems caused by the wax only add to the cost. My hospital bill for only the last surgery was $1000 so using wax has already cost me close to $10,000. I urge anyone thinking of using wax or going to a salon for dreads to think twice and do research.

updated by @emma-dawn: 02/14/15 02:27:20AM
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Holy.Shit.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I had my first set done with was from a salon. It didn't cost that much money, but they told me to use bees wax twice a week and not wash for 2 months. They were unbelievable greasy and slimy, but I waited the 2 months because I thought that how locks were made.

When I finally washed my hair, it melted off of my scalp in clumps. I didn't even have to pull at it or touch it with my hands. The force of the water pressure was enough to peel off over 50% of my hair. Luckily I didn't have any rash or break out, but even to this day, I don't grow as much hair on the right side of my head or the top as I do on the left and sides

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok when will it be enough for someone to sue the wax pushers and salons does someones dreads have to actualy catch fire and kill someone? i always knew it caused acne and clogged pores but never thought you'd need multiple surgeries due to wax

then again there was 1 guy on fb that had maggots eatting his scalp cause the eggs were layed in the wax he needed surgery and to be shaved too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If I ended up in the hospital and found out that it was because of the wax, I would absolutely sue the salon. I do notcondemnall stylists, because there are ones out there who know how to start locks. But it is not something they are taught in school, so they should not be messing with it.

I was a cook for years, but if someone asked for a dish I didn't know how to make, I wouldn't just wip something up and hope they didn't get sick.

The same goes for locks. If stylists don't know what they are doing, they shouldn't be pushing their lack of knowledge onto their clients

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

agreed in fact you desserve at least a refund and all medical bills paid and at the same time let them know why everything they did was so wrong

--
Joshua Earl Lee Darnell
@joshua-earl-lee-darnell
12 years ago
10 posts

i agree with tied up in knots: Holy Shit!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well hear about wax causing clogged pores and zits pretty often but this is 1sty i heard about requiring surgeries due to wax,..

--
Reppyboyo
@reppyboyo
12 years ago
26 posts

Damn, that is horrific.
Hope all is well.

amber3
@amber3
12 years ago
2 posts

omg thats terrible! how are you now and how is your hair doing?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form