dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

introduction

Richard Christian
@richard-christian
12 years ago
8 posts

hello everyone... my name is RICHARD...

i recently just had my dreadlock... i'm from indonesia, a lovely country somewhere in south east asia.

since i have dreadlocked a week ago, i've had been intensively browse the net about dreadlocks and stuff, until i found this site... and now, i'm done searching... this site "feels" so right...

i'm 34, asian, always wanted to get dreadlocked :)

i have black, slighty curl straight hair, and have a week old crocheted dreadlocks... which turn out to be not a recommended way... :(

since i'm a newbee... any advice are welcome...

thanks, and best regards...

updated by @richard-christian: 01/13/15 09:26:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea crochets extremely bad for dreads just throw the hook away a nd let them recover ..it takes a long time to recover from crochet but they will turn out ok in the end

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

What Eagle said. My girlfriend isn'tIndonesian, but she does have some Filipino in her., so I know the hair type you're talking about. If you went totally natural, it would take an age for your hair to lock up. Not that it wouldn't happen in the end. The patience is the best part of growing locks. You get to learn so much about yourself, and gow as a person. But if you did the TnR method, you'd have great looking locks really fast. My girlfriend old set of locks was done with that method and the worked great. She doesn't have them anymore, but I've seen pictures of her when they weren't that old, but they looked very mature.

Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
12 years ago
87 posts

I would suggest just to leave them alone and let them repair themselves. Do not worry about how long your hair will take to lock. I would let it be a lesson in patience.

Richard Christian
@richard-christian
12 years ago
8 posts

well mr. baba is right... my type of hair just don't lock by their own... beside the hair, also the climate here is very humid/wet, hairs will get oily very fast... so i start the initial dreads by crocheting...

luckily i found this site immediately, so i know what to do about my dread journey..

yes trina, that's what i'm trying to do now... just let them be... fuzzy hairs everywhere... but can't stand the itchy though...

thanks...

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'm not sure if you're doing it already, but when it gets really hot here, I wash normally with warm water, but then do a nice long rince with super cold water. It feels great and isrefreshingas hell. Plus that cold water stays cool for a long time. You want to go through your normal wash and rinse routine with warm water, but after that's all done, do the cold water rinse. Cold water, for some reason seemed to help my baby locks lock up faster when I started

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

actualy baba is wrong there (itzs rare) your type hair does lock on its own just fine in fact the fastezt dreading i ever saw was japanese hair ..it dreafed in only hours

some asian hair may dread slow some may dread fast its a total myth that asain hairs harder to dread ..its not really

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I didn't mean it wouldn't lock up on it's own. But from my girlfriends experience, it took just a few months longer than wavy European hair. But if you let it go, it would lock up just fine.

I've heard that about Japanese hair, too.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form