Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Coconut Oil, Palm Rolling, and loose hairs/ends.

Heaven Marie
@heaven-marie
12 years ago
2 posts

Okay, first off, Hello everyone!

Now, lets get down and funky... With questions.

I heard recently that coconut oil is really good for dreads, so, I mean, if you have an opinion on that I would totally dig hearing it.

Secondly, I've been palm rolling my dreads because everybody everywhere does it. But then I saw something somewhere (honestly I cant remember where I saw it or who said it) and it said that palm rolling is pointless. So, once again, opinions I would love to hear.

And lastly, I've been getting a shit ton of lose hairs recently. I know eventually they'll find their place, but I've seen people band them? Like, where they wrap rubber bands to their roots so it kind of directs the loose hairs on where to go. I also have a problem at the ends of my dreads. It's just casual hair that isn't really dreaded. I mean, sometimes when it gets really weird I'll twist and rip it until its no longer physically possible, but it seems as if the next day it falls apart. So, any help, advice, or opinions on any of these subjects would mean so much.

Thanks!

- Heaven

updated by @heaven-marie: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Jenna Blair
@jenna-blair
12 years ago
8 posts

No palm rolling, its dumb and doesn't do much, if anything at all. Baba fats has a video showing why excessive palm rolling is bad, watch it!

No bands either. They can actually weaken and break hairs causing your dreads to be weak later on. How old are your dreads? Loose crazy hairs will get sucked in eventually, its nothing to worry about especially in the early stages :)

As for coconut oil, I don't know much about putting it in your hair. But I use it for a few things, and I think it might be too thick to use in hair :/ Aloe is good for moisture and conditioning.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 coconut oil is conditioning and will stop dreading

2 palm rolling is opintless and harmful i never did in my life only use id s if u usd wax to glue hair into candles

3 do not tnr the ends youir only rese4tting progresss

your tips do not need to dread to the ends and they are way better off if they dont sti]op messing with them

oh yea no runbber bands wever very bafd idea

you will always have loose haires at the roots leave em alone

or u will be wearing rubber bands forever which melt into rubberized dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Breana
@breana
12 years ago
19 posts
Personally I don't think palm rolling or bands are as bad as every makes them out to be. Like everything else both have pros and cons. Some people cansay how helpful it was, others say it was a waste. Do some more research on other sites or ask more people who have had experience with bands and palm rolling, them form your own opinion.My advice? If you want /must do one or the other. Don't palm roll constently, and not hard enough to cause alot of heat, best done when hair is wet.Bands, if you must, make very loose and move them around every so often. Also don't leave them in for more than a few days (not close to the roots either)Again, look into the pros and cons of each and see what your okay with.Remember, less is more :)
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Tight rubber bands will cause some breakage, even in non-dreaded hair. Also, the rubber bands at the roots thing will only set you back because the roots are meant to be loose enough to start dreading on their own. If the loose hairs really bother you, lightly apply aloe while wet or even grab the locking gel from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/ because it's water soluble.

Palm rolling is bad if you do it excessively.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

when something does nothing good there are njo pros..palm rolling doesnt do a thing worrthwhile

and the cons of rubber bands can be drasticly bad..melted rubber permenantly inside your dreadsbroken dreads etc ven the cshort term cons of undoing knots when u =move em every couple days

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, if you don't palm roll hard, you aren't going to get anywhere, And if you do it hard, you will thin out your root and severely weaken your locks. And as they grow, they might not be able to support their own weight, no matter how thin they are. So that is pointless and way more damaging than it's worth.

I'd tend to believe Eagle about the coconut oil, though I don't have any experience with it. Most oils like that are conditioning. So that will slow down the locking process.

And as for the tips... If they blunt on their own, that's fine. But don't wish for them to do it, or try to force it to happen. Those wispy ends will help your locks dry faster by letting water just run down them. I have very mature locks, and some are really thick at the top 6 inches towards my scalp. The ones of mine that are blunted, can still be damp for up to 24 hours. the ones that are wispy dry within 12. That's a big difference in drying time, even for fat locks. Just let them be. the more you try to "fix" it, the more hairs you are pulling out and weakening your locks. A few hairs at a time will amount to a lot in no time.

And don't bother with bands. I am really against using them as a means to section. I know some people will not listen, and in that case I will advise them to ONLY use them on the tips of their locks, and ONLY use them when they wash their locks. Once you get out of the shower, take them off, Let them dry naturally and get tangled again. Bands will really only cause more harm than good. But some people do not want to be as patient. So I am willing to share this bit of advice. I can't stop you from doing what you're going to do. But I would strongly recommend you not use bands. They can get sucked into locks and get lost. And in baby locks this is much more likely. When they eventually dry up, they will start to rot and can cause mold or mildew to form inside your lock. If you use them only on the tips, you won't risk loosing them as bad

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I have no idea about coconut oil, but I used it on my skin for my eczema and it seems like something that'd be stupid to put in your hair, at least at an early stage. I used it as a moisturiser, so no doubt it'd be conditioning.

Palm rolling is crap. It doesn't do any harm if you don't do it really hard and really often, but it doesn't help. Baba Fats has a really good video showing people how it affected his dreads. I wouldn't bother with it, it makes them look tame for a little while but doesn't actually help them in the long run. Not worth the hassle.

Rubber bands can cause problems. If you want to keep your loose hair together, you could use a bead. They won't rot and cause problems like the rubber bands do, so that'd be a good idea. But loose hairs...yeah, just have to be patient with those dudes.

The tips are meant to be loose. They'll sometimes blunt themselves, but mostly they'll stay loose, it's 100% normal...and also convenient, cos they're easlier to dry when they're not blunt. Also, if you keep messing with them, they definitely won't dread. Twist and rip might help once, but not if you do it a lot. Then you'll just be...inhibiting the progress.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Coconut oil is extremely conditioning/moisturizing. Very oily. Getting it out of your hair takes a lot of cleaning.

My hair loves it though.

I've used it twice in the 4 months I've been dreading my hair and haven't noticed any loss of progress though it could definitely have stalled progress I guess. I do have to separate like crazy after washing it out though. Could be from hairs that came loose or it could just be from all the swishing and mashing around of my dreads while I clean out the oil. :P It's hard to tell since I still have a lot of loose hair waiting to dread up anyway.

Definitely use it sparingly though. I don't saturate my dreads. I just rub some oil on my hands and run my hands over each of my dreads. Then I wrap them all up together and go to sleep. I wash my hair first thing the next morning.

Nice thing about dreads is that it's very easy to do a test run of anything on just one lock. You can very easily see if coconut oil is right for your hair if you're interested in using it.

Heaven Marie
@heaven-marie
12 years ago
2 posts

Thanks everyone so much(:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form