Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello All; Glad I Found This Place

Shawn Glover
@shawn-glover
12 years ago
3 posts

Glad I found this site for some quality info on how to hopefully reverse some of the damage done from twisting, wax, rubberbands etc. Been a dread for 12.5 years

I stopped twisting regularly a few years ago (it was at most twice a year for the last 5 or so) and haven't done so at all for the past six months. Going partial neglect a few years ago (now full) has helped some thickness to come back at the scalp, but I believe I've got some traction alopecia in a few spots; tough to figure out what is from having it parted so long and what is actual damage.

I've been using Dawn to strip the wax out (it's slowly working over time); glad I abandoned that junk.

DIdn't know baking soda could be used in lieu of Bronners; switching to that now.

Trying to figure out what the best combo of essential oils/vitamins etc. would be to aid in repair.

I've heard of:

Aloe

Biotin

Wheat Germ

Also the following oils (maybe take some as oral supplements?):

Burdock

Saw Palmetto

Stinging Nettle

Rosemary

Peppermint

Lavender

Coconut

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Shawn

updated by @shawn-glover: 02/14/15 08:33:50AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

looks like a good list you may want to consult our hair experts (click members then hair experts) stephani knows alot and panterra..well id say she knows everything

in featured discussions theres 1 about twisting damage posted by jay ..umm simmons i think? jays dreads are 12 years old too but wre twu-[isted way more and the damage was severe..i was scared it was beyond repair but after gettijng advice herehes well into recovery probly 75% has regrown by now so looking through that should give u ideas what will help

depending how much wax was used u pro=bly will want to look into the wax b gone too

and definately keep it natural from here on out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

I've added you as a friend Shawn, but I'll post on here in the meantime. I just have a few questions for you: Sorry if it gets long, I just need to clear some things up so I can be of help.

How long ago do you think it was that you first noticed the hair loss?

How often are you wearing a tam?

Are your dreads heavy and do you notice them pulling at your scalp from the weight?

Since you've stopped twisting completely, have you noticed the hair toward the base of your dreads get a little loser by your scalp?

Are you pulling them back tightly?

Have you used any essential oils before?

I think those are the questions that I have as of now.

Knowing just what I know now though, I would recommend getting the Dreadlock Wax Remover from here: http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=14 if you can. You can still use the dawn along with it, but you may notice it will help more with the wax removal.

Use the Baking Soda rinse on your scalp carefully, to remove all residue (if any). Hair can not regrow if the scalp is not in optimum condition and free of residues and buildup.

Blood flow is the main importance (next to clean scalp). Because people with dreadlocks can't really massage their scalps to get the blood flow going, I recommend using a comb with metal tangs. Not too sharp, so you don't scrapes though. Just something you can easily get into the loose base of your dreads and rub your scalp with. That will support increased blood flow.

I can help further, once I know your answers. So whenever you get time just let me know. I will do my best to help you!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the wax might add enough weight to really agrevate the issue just removing wax weight n=might help alot

this isnt ideal but 1 way to increase bloodflow to the skin is cayane pepper a lil added to some water then sprinkled on the scalp ..carefully avoiding eyes leave on an hour or so then carefukly rinse out again avoiding the rinse water coming anywhere near the eyes it will drawl the blood to the skin surface

i dont see a prioblem with massaging the scalp with fingers instead of a comb

ah this ideas a lil inspired if it was on a more hairless part of the body you could try cupping to draw the bloofd to the surface

cupping incvolves taking a specialy designed cup placing in it a cottonball soaked in alcahol then you light that on fire and apply the cut to the skin the alcahol burns off along with the oxygen so a vacume forms and a suction the suction draws out toxins from the skin tyop]picaly used on acupuncture points now u wont be able to do this on your scalp byt what you can do is have someone take a straw put the end on the scalp where its bald and suck for several minutes then move it and repeat untill they have covered most of the bald areas ..in a way its like giving the scalp a hickey lol but you dont want to break capilaries and cause bruising you just want to stimulate blood flow to the area so a gentle suction is all you need

thats probly a better option then cayane

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I just got this book and it's awesome! It's called the Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy and there is a section on hair loss that has a list of essential oils that are good for treating hair loss and alopecia. Luckily, google books has a "preview" of the book and these specific pages are in it so, if you wanna check it out, here ya go:

http://www.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=aGfLOwZpiVoC#v=onepage&q&f=false

Start with page 163

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

SE that's what I was thinking about the wax. If it's weighing down his dreads then that could be making the issue worse. Probably best to get as much out as possible asap.

Massaging with fingers is okay but just be careful and use caution because it can cause friction. Friction can irritate the issue more. Also if done too much, it could cause the dreads to congo. They would need to be separated. (if congo's aren't wanted, and because they will only add more weight pulling the root in the follicle) If they aren't separated extremely carefully they can just pull more hair out. So as long as it's done with caution and these things are known, It should be okay.

I think your idea of the straw is great though! If he can get a friend that wouldn't mind doing it lol!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea finding a willing scalp sucker might not be easy lol

--
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

ahaha excuse me would you mind sucking on my scalp through this straw.. what an ice breaker that would be!

soaring eagle said:

yea finding a willing scalp sucker might not be easy lol

Shawn Glover
@shawn-glover
12 years ago
3 posts

How long ago do you think it was that you first noticed the hair loss?

- About 8 months ago is when I noticed it becoming really apparent. For awhile I though it was just from the way they were separated.

How often are you wearing a tam?

- Just stared wearing one again.

Are your dreads heavy and do you notice them pulling at your scalp from the weight?

- I only notice the weight once they're wet; the heaviness is going down as more wax comes out.

Since you've stopped twisting completely, have you noticed the hair toward the base of your dreads get a little loser by your scalp?

- Yep the bases are much looser

Are you pulling them back tightly?

- The most I'll do is put them back loosely with a headband

Have you used any essential oils before?

- nope, but going to take a look at that book Valerie posted.

Don't think a scalp sucker is in the cards, but I do take cayenne as a supplement.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it d=oesnt surprise me that yiu thought it was normal till 8 months ago most who twist or interlock show signs of trouble way way wearlier but ignore it till its pretty far advancesd

if u follow the recomendations here and in jays discussions you will seee steady regrowth but will take months

the twisting dangers vid many say it was cause he twu=isted monthly but you only twisted yearly and show the same damage almost

so i want you to make a vid too warning against twu=isting and leet it be known that eveb annual twisrting can be devestating

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form